Kasa KL430 wifi connection problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-18 07:40:41 - last edited 2022-10-18 15:00:08
Model: KL430  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

First of all, the support process that TP-Link has in place is trash. I don't know what kind of support phone line asks you to constantly confirm you want to remain on the line every 2 minutes before disconnecting you. I couldn't get through to anyone on the phone and barely managed to snag a live tech chat which still ended up being unhelpful.

I recently purchased an Archer AX3000 (aka AX55) and received a free Kasa KL430 as a promo tie-in. I wonder why TP-Link is handing these things out for free when they don't work properly. I've tried innumerable times at this point to try and get this thing to connect to my router (the AX3000) wifi and it simply won't work.

I manage to get as far as connecting my phone to the light strip's wifi using the Kasa app and then when it tries to connect to my router wifi it just cycles constantly before giving up and asking me to try again. It never gets to the point of asking me for my router wifi password.

I've followed all the recommended advice:

• Placed light strip directly next to router
  • Tried multiple power points
  • Forced router to 2.4 Ghz
  • Set WPA2-PSK AES
  • Set 2.4 Ghz channel to 1 or 6 or 11
  • Set channel width to 20 Mhz
  • Switched off both mobile data and bluetooth on my phone

Nothing works and I'm at my wits' end. The tech has started an RMA process which I'm not looking forward to as I expect the next unit could just behave the same way.

Does anyone have any ideas at all on what could work??

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Kasa KL430 wifi connection problems-Solution
2022-10-18 15:00:00 - last edited 2022-10-18 15:00:08

I finally figured it out.

The only solution appeared to be to use another device - an iPhone specifically, not an Android - to get around the wifi connectivity problem by using mobile data temporarily. I couldn't force an Android to use mobile data but I could with the iPhone, which allowed me to immediately upgrade the KL430's firmware via the Kasa app. I can now connect to the lights via the app semi-reliably, though switching locations/routers is still janky. I've been able to set the lighting/timing settings once which is fine for now.

This has frankly been a terrible product out of the box.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-25 11:02:29 - last edited 2022-10-31 03:35:51

So I found a work around , well I read someone on reddit that managed to get it working! So you have to dowgrade to another version of the app. I went all the way back to app version Kasa Smart 2.36.0.1035 apk. Managed to connect and sync and upgrade to the latest firmware version. Then I could upgrade to the latest version of the app and well I have full functionality, FINALLY! 

WOW, I didn't expect it to be so complicated to get a damn light strip working... so obviously its an issue with the app. Also, perhaps adding Bluetooth functionality would be a good idea. 

Cheers!

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
2022-10-18 15:00:00 - last edited 2022-10-18 15:00:08

I finally figured it out.

The only solution appeared to be to use another device - an iPhone specifically, not an Android - to get around the wifi connectivity problem by using mobile data temporarily. I couldn't force an Android to use mobile data but I could with the iPhone, which allowed me to immediately upgrade the KL430's firmware via the Kasa app. I can now connect to the lights via the app semi-reliably, though switching locations/routers is still janky. I've been able to set the lighting/timing settings once which is fine for now.

This has frankly been a terrible product out of the box.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Kasa KL430 wifi connection problems
2022-10-19 01:00:12

@wobbegong 

Glad to know you were able to set up  the device finally by switching a different phone. Thanks for sharing the experience and solution with the community.

Options
2022-10-21 06:12:05

@Solla-topee 

Literally on the same boat as the initial poster. Purchased a new modem, was eligible to receive the KL430. And just doesn't connect during the pairing process.... ( That's literally all that happens when trying to connect "....") Then it just stops after 40 seconds after trying to establish a connection ( disconnects from the TP-Link wifi) and goes into pairing mode again ( those damn green and orange lights.

But unlike the other person I don't have an iPhone to try on! ( I do have 2 other android phones, same thing on those 2!) And I stress I have tried every trouble shooting method I can think off, including the above persons. 

So I'm guessing it's a firmware issue on the actual product, which I can't upgrade to! Or it's an issue with the android app in particular. 

Don't know what to do, but hey it was free I guess. Absolutely done my head in..

Options
2022-10-21 14:52:10

J100 wrote

@Solla-topee 

Literally on the same boat as the initial poster. Purchased a new modem, was eligible to receive the KL430. And just doesn't connect during the pairing process.... ( That's literally all that happens when trying to connect "....") Then it just stops after 40 seconds after trying to establish a connection ( disconnects from the TP-Link wifi) and goes into pairing mode again ( those damn green and orange lights.

But unlike the other person I don't have an iPhone to try on! ( I do have 2 other android phones, same thing on those 2!) And I stress I have tried every trouble shooting method I can think off, including the above persons. 

So I'm guessing it's a firmware issue on the actual product, which I can't upgrade to! Or it's an issue with the android app in particular. 

Don't know what to do, but hey it was free I guess. Absolutely done my head in..

I feel your pain. I spent far too much time on what should have been a simple process. The product is just broken out of the box. The only viable way for you to be able to use it would be to get a friend or relative with an iPhone to make it connect temporarily so that you can immediately upgrade the firmware, and then it'll work more consistently. Otherwise the thing's useless.

Options
2022-10-21 23:16:42 - last edited 2022-10-22 02:51:25

@wobbegong 

Thanks! Same issue. Tried everything you did and couldn't get it working on my Samsung Galaxy S20. Borrowed Dad's iPhone. Shared mobile hotspot from my phone to his. Installed the Kasa app, logged in and then was able to add and connect the Light Strip on my first attempt after having basically tried everything on my phone and my Amazon eero 6 router. Now the Light Strip has connected to my home network and I can control it from my Galaxy phone too.

TLDR: use an iPhone for the initial setup

Options
2022-10-25 11:02:29 - last edited 2022-10-31 03:35:51

So I found a work around , well I read someone on reddit that managed to get it working! So you have to dowgrade to another version of the app. I went all the way back to app version Kasa Smart 2.36.0.1035 apk. Managed to connect and sync and upgrade to the latest firmware version. Then I could upgrade to the latest version of the app and well I have full functionality, FINALLY! 

WOW, I didn't expect it to be so complicated to get a damn light strip working... so obviously its an issue with the app. Also, perhaps adding Bluetooth functionality would be a good idea. 

Cheers!

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-26 05:46:44

@J100 Good to know for people who can't get their hands on an alternate phone.

Options
2022-11-12 05:12:38

@J100 this is the best solution and im looking forward to make a YT video to explain this to people whos buying and getting mad, THANK YOU so much for helping like this

Options
2022-11-14 01:50:28
Fcjb
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 678

Replies: 9