KS230 smart switch 3-way dimmer contantly restarting
Installing the KS230 smart switch I noticed some problems when doing my electrical measurements
- Start by disconnecting both existing switches and exposing all wires
- Neither box has a ground
- BoxA has 4x wires (2x travelers, 1x hot, and a neutral in the back of the box)
- BoxB has 3x wires (2x travelers, 1x hot)
Now here is where things don't add up ..
- turn power on and use multimeter to measure HOT lines
- In BoxA nothing is HOT?
- In BoxB the HOT shows 120V (so this is LINE?) and oddly it is WHITE?
- If I connect the 3x wires in BoxB then I can find in BoxA there LOAD at 120V
- otherwise all wires are 0V or 25V on travelers
Seems to me like I have a NEUTRAL wire in the wrong box?
Here is an image of BoxA which I thought was main (because it has the neutral) ...
Here is an image of BoxB which I thought was my satellite (because it has no neutral) but it seems to have the LINE (120v)...
Anyways I proceed to connect it and as expected do not get good results:
- Initially the 2x switches (main and satellite) seem to be cycling on/off and the lights are flashing (almost like the entire circuit keeps rebooting) every second
- If I turn OFF the satellite then the main starts flashing RED fast
- If I turn ON the satellite then the main goes green/yellow (normal) and I can connect to it fine; but when I try the TEST for the dimmer it turns on for 1-second and then reboots
I tried switching the TRAVELERS on the satellite (nothing worked when I did that) and then I stopped ... I did not try swapping any other wires at this point (just put back my old switches).
I'm no expert but if I compare the diagram in the instructions and my situation it almost looks like my neutral is in my satellite? Is there an installation configuration which could work for this?