120V on Neutral?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

120V on Neutral?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
120V on Neutral?
120V on Neutral?
2022-12-13 21:01:43
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 6 HS220 smart switches, that i'm replacing old dimmer switches with. 

When I wire these switches up:

Green (ground) connected to Green (ground)

White (Neutral) on switch connected to white (neutral)

Line on switch connected to supply line black.

Load connected or not connected doesnt change the outcome of the issue.

When I hook this switch up as stated above (correctly) I get 120v on neutral when testing from ground to neutral. This is causing issues. 

Even if I dont have neutral hooked up and test with multimeter from the neutral on the switch to the ground or hot i get 120v. 

How is this possible?

Thanks,

-Dave

Options
2 Reply
Re:120V on Neutral?
2022-12-14 05:57:14

@Dmeyer07

Thank you for reaching out to the community, can you check some of the tips here help: 

1. Please make sure you installed the HS220 in a two-way environment where 1 switch control 1 light. 

2. Try to use a voltage tester to identify the wires in the wall with the switch uninstalled. ( Important:  pay attention to electric shock)

The energized wire is the Line wire.  

3. Here is a video for you  to examine the wiring of HS220 step by step. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/hs220/#video
Correctly wiring HS220 requires at least 3 lines in your electrical box: 
 1*Live wire, 1* Load wire, 1* Neutral wire ( white or a bundle of white wires secured with a wire nut. ), 1*Ground Wire (optional)
(NOTE: If  No Neutral Wire is present, HS220  can Not be installed   )

If this does not help, I recommend reaching a qualified electrician so they can take a further look at the wiring in the house.

Hope this can provide any help! 

Options
Re:120V on Neutral?
2022-12-27 05:27:53

Dmeyer07 wrote

I have 6 HS220 smart switches, that i'm replacing old dimmer switches with. 

When I wire these switches up:

Green (ground) connected to Green (ground)

White (Neutral) on switch connected to white (neutral)

Line on switch connected to supply line black.

Load connected or not connected doesnt change the outcome of the issue.

When I hook this switch up as stated above (correctly) I get 120v on neutral when testing from ground to neutral. This is causing issues. 

Even if I dont have neutral hooked up and test with multimeter from the neutral on the switch to the ground or hot i get 120v. 

How is this possible?

Thanks,

-Dave

@Dmeyer07  After installing a bunch of switches and loads of fun with 3 way switches.. I've learned NOT to assume wiring colours at all..Fortunately they are mostly correct... especially at the power outlets which are much simpler, just line, neutral and ground.   You can and should test things out even before buying the new / replacement devices.  Disclaimer, I am NOT an electrician..  Easy enough to confirm the line wire through a tester that EVERY DIY should have.   I am not sure how to use a multimeter or other tool to test / look for neutral wire.  But there is a very simple way to test for neutral... temporarily connect a power outlet, line wire.. and test other wires for the neutral.  Connect an outlet tester or a plug in led light to confirm the outlet works.  *** Of course everyone should always turn the breaker for the switch / outlet off before handling wires, and only back on to test without handling wires.   I have two boxes in my home with lines and loads from different circuits.. so be careful for that too..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 305

Replies: 2

Related Articles