Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-23 07:08:35 - last edited 2023-02-03 03:17:40
Tags: #KS200M
Model: Kasa  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Desired behavior - Switch can only be turned on by clicking the switch. After x minutes of no motion detected, switch should turn off.

I have a bunch of KS200Ms. Using Smart Control in the app, I am able to use motion sensor to turn on a switch no problem, and have it turn off after x minutes of no motion detected. However, I can't figure out why when I choose "Manual Only" for the turn on option it just doesn't work. Am I misunderstanding what "Manual Only" means? I have tried this with 3 different KS200Ms that work with motion on/motion off but won't work with manual on/motion off.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
[Solution]Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off-Solution
2023-02-03 03:17:03 - last edited 2023-03-24 02:52:33

Update 03/ 2023

@YanXS 

Hello everyone, 

Thank you very much for sharing feedback with ' Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off' , here are some updates:

Description:

For KS200M or KS220M, in Smart Control settings, when the Trigger is set to Manual Only, the Smart Control may not take effect as expected 

Model: KS200M/KS220M(US) 1.0 

Solution: 

Update 03/ 2023 

• Fixed on KS200M 1.0 Firmware 1.0.11 

Ensure the firmware of your device is up to date 

• For model KS220M  1.0 next firmware update 

The firmware is in the still under test stage, ETA of release date is not yet confirmed. 

If you'd like to try beta the firmware or join the beta test: 

Please provide the device model & MAC address to  support.forum@tp-link.com with email tile ' Forum ID 593266+ Model + Description' , the our support will continue to help with your case.

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:Cannot get motion sensor switch (KS200M) to manual on/motion off
2022-12-26 07:38:11

diysam wrote

Desired behavior - Switch can only be turned on by clicking the switch. After x minutes of no motion detected, switch should turn off.

I have a bunch of KS200Ms. Using Smart Control in the app, I am able to use motion sensor to turn on a switch no problem, and have it turn off after x minutes of no motion detected. However, I can't figure out why when I choose "Manual Only" for the turn on option it just doesn't work. Am I misunderstanding what "Manual Only" means? I have tried this with 3 different KS200Ms that work with motion on/motion off but won't work with manual on/motion off.

@diysam 

II have a bunch of KS220M, basically the same thing but with dimming.   Can you clarify...  are you trying to set Smart Control to..

A) How to Turn On the Light

Trigger = Manual Only

B) How to Turn Off the Light

Trigger = No Motion detected (xx minutes)

Are you saying after you manually turn on the light, it does NOT turn off as expected?   Does this happen for all your KS200M switches or just one or two?   I've had q uirky behaviour with Kasa motion switches and found, in my case, that my switches behave better when I close the Kasa smartphone app.

Options
2022-12-26 18:00:50

@LearnTO 

Yes, if I set Smart Control as you described, after turning on the switch manually, it doesn't ever turn off. This doesn't work for any of my 5 KS200Ms. Does it work for your KS220M? If so maybe it's just a bug with the KS200Ms.

Options
2022-12-27 03:28:37

@diysam 

Thank you for the care report and sharing the details!

Can you share some photos of your Smart Control/ Motion Sensor settings in the app?

Please also share the KS200M device name & firmware version and I may need to escalate your case, thank you. 

Options
2022-12-27 04:01:34

@Solla-topee 

The firmware version is 1.0.10. All of my devices do not work. I have spoken to someone else on Reddit who says they are facing the same issue.

Options
2022-12-27 04:28:11 - last edited 2022-12-27 04:30:55

Solla-topee wrote

@diysam 

Thank you for the care report and sharing the details!

Can you share some photos of your Smart Control/ Motion Sensor settings in the app?

Please also share the KS200M device name & firmware version and I may need to escalate your case, thank you. 

@Solla-topee 

Confirmed @diysam reported issue on KS200M also occurs on the KS220M, at least the one unit I tested.  I observed the following behavior:

1. Manually turning the KS220M (and likely the KS200M via physical or Kasa app button appears to bypass / break the Smart Control.

2. This occurs even if device is set to turn on via motion, but you manually turn it on.. it is not turning off as per Smart Control settings.

3. When turning on by motion, it does turn off when no motion is detected after xx time.. although a tad off.. 15 seconds seems more like 8 seconds..

Its quite a bug..  that said... ironically.. there is another post where someone asked if there was a way to bypass the Kasa motion sensor so it remains on when they are in an area out of reach / sight..   

I highly recommend resolving this bug but including a bypass feature something in the lines of..  

** Add additional options via Long Press and or Double Tap, one of options should be the HOLD current state....  It is really cool how Kasa engineers inetgrated countdown via the physical dimming bars of the HS220.  I replaced KS220M sensors installed in bedrooms with HS220 as the HS220 was was more practical, the additional long press and  double tap features were more useful.  The KS220M had no documented way to HOLD its on or off state and also lacked the long and double press features that allowed for timed on / off.  KS220M have been relegated to quick use / hallways, and washrooms with a long timer, either someone would manually turn it off or it turns off on its own.

Device Info:

Model: KS220M

Hardware Version: 1.0

Firmware Version 1.0.9

Kasa Android App Version 3.1.3 Build 1129

Options
2022-12-27 06:28:20 - last edited 2022-12-28 02:54:34

Update:

Thank you for more case details, I'd create a support email and get your case escalated through email, please check your email inbox later . 
  @diysam  TKID221247975
 @LearnTO TKID221247970

If possible, can you share the another photo of the  Manual ON, device turn off after X min page, thank you 

Options
2022-12-27 07:04:55

@Solla-topee 

Does this help?

Options
2022-12-28 02:55:06

@diysam that's it, thank you. 

Feel free to let the community know how it goes later~

Options
2023-01-03 06:47:57

Good news!

"This is Ryan, the senior engineer from TP-Link support team. Our staff will release the latest firmware to solve it soon, please give us some time and wait patiently."

Options
2023-01-03 07:35:38

@diysam 

Glad to know there will be a firmware to solve the problem, thank you reporting the issue and  sharing the update with the community. yeslaugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 1673

Replies: 20

Tags

KS200M