Can't cast Tapo C320WS to Chromecast, neither can't give it a static IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-29 00:07:25
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello there,

I got two Tapo C320WS a couple weeks ago. Using one at the moment, I'll set up the other in this week. Also, got a 2022 Google chromecast today.

I haven't been able to cast the Tapo stream to the chromecast. It says "there was something wrong with the device <my_device>", but not sure where or what else I can look up for to troubleshoot - maybe router firewall or something router related? I've tried rebooting the chromecast, to no avail. No other cameras or 'smart home' devices, so there's nothing else tied or trying to be tied to the chromecast.

Invoking the command to make them show up from within the Google Home app won't work either, and it'll say the same message than with the chromecast.

Speaking of the router, for some reason it will refuse to assign a static local IP to the cameras. I set up both of them with their MAC addresses, but instead they will always get the immediate DHCP address available. I read some days ago about a firmware update that allegedly fixed that issue on a different model, and I checked the firmware versions on the cameras and they are supposed to be covered by that update (both of them have now the 1.3.0 Build 220830 Rel. 74146n (5553). I don't think it's a mistake from my part as I've assigned static IP addresses for pretty much every device at home. I don't think this is causing the chromecast issue as when I saw they refused to take the static IP address I deleted that setting from the router and let them take the address DHCP gave to them.

I'll really appreciate whatever help you can give me into this.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can't cast Tapo C320WS to Chromecast, neither can't give it a static IP address
2023-02-01 07:21:39 - last edited 2023-02-01 07:21:59

Hello  @acidrums4 

Thank you for the case report and for sharing case details with the community.

Please confirm your camera is available in the Tapo App over the internet when phone is on the mobile data. 

Test different tapo cameras if own more than one camera. 

Confirm Chrome cast is on the latest firmware. 

If still the same can i have a photo of the error, and the MAC address of your tapo camera, please share the MAC via PM, thank you. 

Options
Re:Can't cast Tapo C320WS to Chromecast, neither can't give it a static IP address
2023-02-02 01:59:44

@acidrums4 Feel free to let me know for any observations. 

For failing to assigning the static IP,  i recommend reaching the router support and see if they have any suggestions or known issue with the router. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 307

Replies: 2