Install of Tapo C100

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Install of Tapo C100

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Install of Tapo C100
Install of Tapo C100
2023-03-13 07:39:28
Model: Tapo C100  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.1.21

Hi all, I purchased 3 Tapo C100's in the last couple of weeks, to run on my Zoneminder based home security camera setup. These work well in Zoneminder, but today I lost access to my Zoneminder login from the internet, as well as my webpage (I run Zoneminder and an apache2 web server on the same server box at my home) - the Zoneminder and apache2 web content is still available from within my LAN. Browsers now tell me my domainname and site aren't secure and the SSL certificate cannot be trusted - from Firefox I get this error MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT. It gets interesting when I view the certificate... the certificate is from TP-Link! I have absolutely no idea why a TP-Link SSL certificate has been served up when people try to access my website, but as it is a self-signed certificate no browser in the western world will allow me to browse ANY content on my home-served domain name (which prior to this morning worked fine), nor make an exception to browse it - as I have spent significant time, effort, and some money getting my site setup, I'm quite annoyed that within 2 weeks of installing 3 TP-Link devices that a TP-Link sourced security certificate is somehow causing the entire internet to be blocked from viewing my web page, and stopping me from viewing my security cameras. Has anyone encountered this, and if yes, how did you solve it?

Regards, Chris, NZ

Options
2 Reply
Re:Install of Tapo C100
2023-03-15 09:48:25 - last edited 2023-03-15 09:49:53

@Chrisblob 

Hello, thank you for the feedback.

Please confirm if you are streaming the Tapo camera via RTSP on the Zoneminder? How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream?

Did you enable the remote control of the Tapo camera? (open port 554 for the camera on your host router)

Please provide more details about how do you visit the camera? Are you using the domain to visit the local network? Or the camera? 

Tapo camera doesn't have a web portal. To my understanding, the camera streaming is done via RTSP, which doesn't involve any TP-Link login portal like the WiFi router, so it shouldn't have such a problem. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Install of Tapo C100
2023-03-15 20:40:30

@Wayne-TP Hi, all 3 of the cameras stream using RTSP to Zoneminder, but using the Tapo app I have turned off everything I can turn off other than the stream since Zoneminder performs all the motion detection & recordings & notifications etc. I figured out why I couldn't access the server remotely - the IP address of the server wasn't locked, and the router moved it after a software update forced the server to reboot the network adaptor - I've now locked the server IP address, and adjusted the port forwarding to match the right IP address. I still consider it strange that when port forwarding was pointing at the wrong IP address that browsers from remote could pick up a TP-Link self-signed SSL cert - perhaps there is one on the cameras for trust purposes over WiFi, who knows... it works now so I'll not worry about it.

Cheers,

Chris, NZ

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 624

Replies: 2

Related Articles