How to enable or disable motion detector notifications with a scenario or automation ?

How to enable or disable motion detector notifications with a scenario or automation ?

2023-03-26 18:02:19 - last edited 2024-01-18 08:36:21
Model: Tapo T100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I would like to be able to turn off the Sensor notifications when I am at home with a scenario.

And turn them back on when I leave my home.

Is this possible or will it be part of a future upgrade ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to enable or disable motion detector notifications with a scenario or automation ?-Solution
2024-01-18 08:36:14 - last edited 2024-01-18 08:37:19

Hello Everyone! I'd like to share some available solutions for the scenario discussed in this thread for the motion sensor Tapo T100. Hope they inspire you!

Case One. Only detection notification is needed without additional automation actions. 

Solution 1  Enable the sensor's own notification function and set up a notification schedule.

Q: What if I want to turn off the notification temporarily?

A: In the Tapo App, go to the "Me" page, find the Notification option, and then you can choose whether to receive notifications from the motion sensor on the current mobile device.
Note: This feature doesn't completely disable the sensor's notification function; it only controls notifications received on the current mobile device. If you have logged in to the Tapo App with the same account on other mobile devices or shared the smart device with others, these devices can still receive motion detection notifications. To disable notifications, you need to perform separate operations on the corresponding mobile device.

Solution 2  Use the notification feature in the automations. (Available in the upcoming Smart Action 2.0)

Create a separate automation rule for each sensor and set its unique Notification* content (e.g., "Movement detected on the hallway," "Someone passing by the stairs"). 

In this case, you can not only set a detection schedule (effective time of the automation) for each sensor, and additional automation actions (e.g., ring the Tapo hub, turn on lights as alerts.), but also can switch detection modes automatically when leaving/arriving home with the Geofencing*

Tips: By duplicating* automation or shortcut entries, you can expedite the process of creating similar rules.

*Geofencing, Duplicate (automation/shortcut), and setting notifications as actions in automation are supported in the upcoming Smart Action 2.0.

Q: What if I want to turn off the notification temporarily?

A: Create a Shortcut to enable/disable multiple automations with one click.

Case Two. Receive Detection Notification & Control Other Smart Devices with Movement Detection

When the motion sensor detects movement, it will not only send me a notification but also trigger/control other smart devices, such as making the Tapo hub ring an alarm or turning on a light bulb at a specific color as alert. 

Solution: Refer to Solution 2 in Case One.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
35 Reply
Re:How to enable or disable motion detector notifications with a scenario or automation ?
2023-04-18 03:13:50

@Vincent_D 

I'd also really like to see notifications being able to be set-up in a schedule in exactly the same way as recording for cameras. Basically automate the whole usual home/away scenario for most occasions. 

Options
Re:How to enable or disable motion detector notifications with a scenario or automation ?
2023-04-18 08:10:28

@Meteorites 

Absolutely. At the moment, I manually turn on the sensor notifications when I leave my house and turn them off when I get home..

Also, it would be great to have the ability to turn off the sensor detection to limit battery drain.
I hope the developers read our comments.

Options
2023-04-18 10:18:12

@Vincent_D 

Actually it would be awesome if the recording, notifications and sensors could all be scheduled using the same table format as the current camera recording. It would be really helpful to turn things on/off at certain times. Your sensor idea is one that I've also run into as well. Currently stuck with one setting to manage all times isn't ideal. 

Options
2023-04-18 10:29:30

@Meteorites 

In fact, I use the motion sensor to trigger the Hub's siren while I am away. The camera handles motion/person detection and recording independently.
I have created  scenarios and shortcuts with a Tapo switch to start the camera and sensor detection.

Options
2023-04-18 10:33:41

@Vincent_D 

Yeah I have quite a few automations set up too. I guess my idea stems from a singular easy approach from a UI/UX perspective. 

Options
2023-04-20 09:58:19

@Vincent_D   @Meteorites 

Hi, 
Thank you for your feedback here, we certainly appreciate your feedback and feature requests.
While we don't have any specific details that I can share about if these features can come to the product or when they might, I'll log the feature requests and pass it along to the team to evaluate.

Best Regards

Options
2023-04-20 10:05:23 - last edited 2023-04-20 10:05:42

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your consideration of our messages.

If you need more precise information you can contact me.

Options
2023-07-17 01:47:49

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I'm looking forward to this enhancement as well. Should significantly save battery but more importantly able to AUTOMATE to only send us notification when we'r away.

Options
2023-08-28 10:16:18

@Solla-topee 

I support this feature too. This is the main thing missing to be able to create a "full-fledged" alarm scenario, even without side effect like the alarm sound or lights turning on.

I'm looking forward for a scenario where (for example) a single button tap would enable/disable cameras motion detection and sensors notifications.

Options
2023-11-24 11:35:47

@Vincent_D I also have around 6 motion sensors installed in 6 different rooms in my apartment. I am using them to trigger the siren function in my hub. When I go out, I have to manually turn on notifications for each of the 6 sensors so that I and my parents (whom I share the devices with) receive prompt alerts on our phones in case someone tries to intrude in our apartment. When we get back home, I again have to manually turn off notifications for each of these 6 sensors to avoid unnecessary notifications when we are at our home. This issue of manually turning the notifications on and off for these sensors is quite cumbersome and presently it seems that there is no way to do that with a single tap. It would be great if we can incorporate this in a shortcut or something.

Options

Information

Helpful: 15

Views: 2368

Replies: 35

Related Articles