Tapo C110 black model discontinued?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-30 16:20:05
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I remember seing a black version of the C110 camera, but nobody seems to sell it and I can't find it on Tapo's website. Has it been discontinued?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Tapo C110 black model discontinued?
2023-07-31 11:06:14

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
We do not have a black version of Tapo C110, and currently, there are no black Tapo cameras.

Would you please describe the detailed usage scenario to prefer to use the black cameras? I'll then forward it to the related team to evaluate.

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-31 11:15:16

@Solla-topee Hi, I think it was the Tapo C111. A black camera is more discrete when place in a darker corner or against a dark background, which is useful if you don't want intruders to see it, especially because video is written locally to the microSD card. If the intruder takes the camera the video footage is lost.

Options
2023-08-01 09:09:00

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. It's recommended to pay attention to the information on the official website, and if a black Tapo camera is available in your region, we will add it to the official website.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-12 09:33:21

@RandyAndy hey, I saw it on the website. Tapo C111 | Home Security Wi-Fi Camera | TP-Link

LOL, I also have seen this in the app, but I was wondering about its existence.

Options
2023-09-12 09:54:26

@NguyenKhoi Exactly. On a more general note, I asked on Reddit why nowadays most WI-Fi cameras are white. It's as if they want thieves and intruders to notice the camera. A white camera stands out much more than a black one, especially if you tuck it away in a dark corner. The other problem with white cameras is they get dirty very quickly, so I either wash my hands before I make adjustmnets to the camera or wear gloves. Sure, white cameras have their place, but black ones too, nad in a garage for example I'd take a black camera over a white one. Someone on Reddit argued that black gets hot because black objects absorb all wavelengths of light, but that logic is relevant to outdoor cameras that might be exposed to direct sunlight, unlike indoor cameras such as the C100/C110 etc.

So I guess I'll have to come up with some sort of cover or a wooden box to conceal my cameras...

Options
2023-09-12 10:00:20

@RandyAndy yeah, Tapo must considering to make the black version, but black is not enough, in the future, they must release out some black cameras that has a feature to switch between 940nm IR light and 850nm. The 850nm can be seen by normal eyes, making intruders can spot them easily. The C225 has this feature, hopefully there will be black camera with that feature...

Options
2023-09-12 10:41:21

@NguyenKhoi Yes, that's my second main complaint about these cameras. I keep wondering if they do that because some countries have regulations that require cameras to be seen, data protection and that sort of thing. As a solution I plan to install an external IR light and remove the camera's own light, this way intruders will see the external light but not the camera. This is somewhat annoying.

Options
2023-09-12 11:42:26

@RandyAndy The camera just need the IR Cutter, which is the things that switch to color to Black and White. I figured it out when I see my iPhone FaceID IR Lights also visible with the camera lens in Black and White. But in my country I can't see any types of external IR Lights to buy in order to improve the Night vision quality, also prevent the camera from being stolen.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 534

Replies: 8

Related Articles