C310 constant amber light - This Tapo-device can only be controlled locally

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-08 18:23:54 - last edited 2023-08-08 18:26:56
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2

Bought two Tapo C310 cameras. The first one was setup without any problems. With the second unit i had a problem connecting it to the Wi-Fi. After connecting to the Camera Wifi and following the setup steps the camera initialization failed. I did a reset to the camera and after this the camera was setup to wi-fi, but it is still not working properly. I get an constant amber light and a notification "This Tapo-device can only be controlled locally". When i open the error message it says that:

"Network is currently unstable. Please wait a while and try again

If the problem continues, do the following

- Check that your router has internet connectivity (it has as and all devices are working fine except this C310 unit)

- Disconnect the Tapo-device and plug the power back (Disconnected and reseted the device, wont fix the issue)

- Try to change your routers DNS-setting to 8.8.8.8. (Did this, didn't make a difference and this is not a network issue with my ISP or my internal wi-fi or LAN, no firewall, nat or port forwarding rules in use, everything else in my network works perfectly)."

The camera is 20 centimeters from the Wi-Fi unit and has excellent wi-fi connectivity.

If i press the "Check" button, nothing happens and the same problem occurs. I suspect that this is a faulty unit. Please advice.

Options
6 Reply
Re:C310 constant amber light - This Tapo-device can only be controlled locally
2023-08-08 18:53:02

Just tried to setup the camera again via Ethernet only, the same problem can be repeated with ethernet connectivity. Faulty unit?

Options
2023-08-09 10:33:52

@Juha-Tapio 

Hi,
Thank you for the detailed explanation and attempts. In this case, is it possible to change the problematic C310's location with the working one? If yes, please swap the locations for a try.

And please check if the problematic C310 connects to the same Wi-Fi network as other cameras, and check if your router has configured parental control or access control entry for the camera.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-09 12:36:57 - last edited 2023-08-09 12:43:57

@Solla-topee 

"Thank you for the detailed explanation and attempts. In this case, is it possible to change the problematic C310's location with the working one? If yes, please swap the locations for a try."

I have setup both cameras approximately 20 cm's from the wi-fi router that is on my work table. I have tried to setup the camera via wi-fi and through an ethernet connection and the same problem occurs on both connections, and can always be repeated. So this is not a wi-fi distance related issue between the physical location of the camera and the wi-fi router. From my perspective the device seems to be unable to register it-self properly to the cloud. I'm using Google Home Wi-fi Mesh network with 3 pucks and the working C310 is connected to the same access point as is the camera that is not working. 

"And please check if the problematic C310 connects to the same Wi-Fi network as other cameras, and check if your router has configured parental control or access control entry for the camera."

Both C310 cameras connect to the same wifi-network, the router doesn't have any parental controls or access control entries for the cameras enabled. Nor are there any custom firewall rules or port forwarding rules enabled. As a test, I also tried to create a separate guest wi-fi network for the device, reset the camera and setup and add it through the new guest wi-fi network, but the same problem occurs there as well.

Since this problem can be repeated on wi-fi and ethernet i suspect that the problem is with the camera. 

Best regards,

-JT

Options
2023-08-09 14:27:09 - last edited 2023-08-09 14:28:30

@Solla-topee 

I've tested onboarding the camera now with iOS and Android devices, problem persists. I've enabled diagnostic logging and i can see various errors in the logs related to onboarding the camera to your services:

There are several network errors trying to connect to Tapo backend services.
[2023-08-09 15:17:46][ERROR][cloudiot]socket_fd.c:1169(socket_fd_create)-- TCP connect to euw1-device-cloudgateway.iot.i.tplinknbu.com:443 -- IP: 54.216.205.193 failed, Try another IP

And also a mention that the device has bind other account.

[2023-08-09 15:27:01][ERROR][cloudiot]cloud_iot_common.c:151(proxy_check_resp_error_code)-- error_code: -20506, msg: Device has bind other account

[2023-08-09 15:27:01][ERROR][cloudiot]cloud_iot_common.c:1267(unbind_process_cb)-- proxy resp error, clientToken: 789ABCDEF0123456.

[2023-08-09 15:27:11][ERROR][cloudiot]cloud_iot_common.c:151(proxy_check_resp_error_code)-- error_code: -20506, msg: Device has bind other account

[2023-08-09 15:27:11][ERROR][cloudiot]cloud_iot_common.c:1267(unbind_process_cb)-- proxy resp error, clientToken: 789ABCDEF0123456.

[resetWaitUnbind] Device neither unbind the old account nor bind the new account,
               new account info will be discarded after reset.

Can you please escalate this as it seems that the problem is either in the camera or in your background services that are preventing my camera from registering to the cloud backend.

Options
2023-08-09 15:32:07

Camera was found defective by Tapo support, waiting for a replacement. Hopefully it will work better.

Options
2023-08-10 10:33:18

@Juha-Tapio 

Hi,
Thank you for the update. If our tech team has provided a replacement for your Tapo C310, you can test if the replaced camera will work fine later, and please feel free to contact us if you need further help.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 693

Replies: 6

Related Articles