Problem with tapo app while connecting to my cameras when in LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-05 14:33:03 - last edited 2023-10-05 18:12:27
Tags: #Tapo App
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 build 230316 rel.55457n

I have installed multiple tapo cameras, 4 C320WS and 3 C210. All the cameras are working as expected except when i am in my own network.

All of them are connected to my local network through wifi. I have 2 AP and all of the cameras have great signal. I have download the Tapo App and i can see and manage my cameras perfectly when i am connected with 4g. There is no problem with the cameras actually but when i am connected through my own wifi to the tapo app, i cannot connect to them in 80% of cases. It takes forever for the app to connect to the cameras.

I disabled all the firewall rules in my router, no change.

All of my cameras have correctly assigned IP addresses through DHCP of my router.

I can ping all of the cameras when i am connected to my wifi!!!

I have created an account for each of them and i can check the RSTP feed when i am connected to my wifi.

I have connected them through this account to my local NVR and they are working perfectly.

But when i am using the Tapo App v 3.0 to connect to my cameras in local network, IT IS NOT WORKING. When i am using the tapo app through 4g, it is fine.

I think it is a misconfiguration in the App. Any ideas?

EDIT1

I want to add that when i am trying to use the Tapo App in my LAN, the LAN is stop responding for 1 min, that means no internet access to all my local devices. After that it is ok, but this problem is 100% reproducible. During this LAN freezing, ping to external ip addresses is working fine (like 8.8.8.8).

EDIT2

The mobile phone using the Tapo App and the IP cameras are in different subnets of my LAN, but no firewall between them and i can ping from one subnet to another freely.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Problem with tapo app while connecting to my cameras when in LAN
2023-10-07 09:53:05

@mr_robot_dev 

Hello, 
What's the model number and OS version of your phone, and what's the Tapo app version installed? If you have a different phone, please check if the same problem happens with the new phone.

Please try to connect your phone to the same AP and the same SSID as a Tapo camera, and then check if you can watch it properly on the Tapo app.

Best Regards

Options
2023-10-07 13:20:29

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your reply.

I have installed the Tapo App on different phones and an IPad. All of the phoens have android (different versions up to version 13). The phones are Sansung Note4, Samsung S21 and the IPad is model 2018, latest OS. The problem is not related to the hardware or the software of the phones or IPad.

If i am trying to connect to the same AP/same SSID (that means the same subnet), yes it is working as expected.

But i have my cameras on a different subnet from the rest of my network (and many people do that) and with that simple configuration it is not working even if i disable all my firewall rules.

Options
2023-10-10 10:00:02

@mr_robot_dev 

Hi,
In this case, I think the problem is also related to your network diagram and the settings on your router and APs, the settings on your routers and APs may block the connection between the app and the cameras in different subnets. Please help confirm the following information, and I'll escalate your case to our tech team for further analysis.
1. Please describe your network diagram in detail. 
2. Please send me the model number of your router and APs, and what subnets you configured for the router and different APs.

Best Regards

Options
2023-10-10 12:50:26

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your reply

FTTH ONT ==> Router Mikrotik RB5009 --> AP (Mikrotik AX2)

Subnet of cameras : 192.168.230.0/24 with IPs of the cameras 192.168.230.11, 192.168.230.12, 192.168.230.13, 192.168.230.14.

The IP of the DVR that the cameras are coonected also, is 192.168.230.2. The cameras are connected through ONVIF with the DVR. I can see the live stream both from DVR and TAPO app. In case i am connected from my LAN, i can see the live stream ONLY from the DVR.

Subnet of my mobile devices (phones etc...): 192.168.130.0.24 with IPs of my devices 192.168.130.4 and .5

No firewall rules that drop traffic between these 2 subnets. The interfaces of the subnets are VLAN 230 and VLAN 130 that resides on the same bridge.

I can freely PING from 192.168.230.0/24 to 192.168.130.0/24 and vice versa without a problem.
Normally i have firewall rules in place that block access from the VLAN of the cameras to the VLAN of my rest of the network, but to test what is going on, all firewall rules are disabled.

Also, the app of my DVR is working perfectly from my mobile devices, if it was a network problem, that would not work also.

Thank you for your efforts and keep me posted.

Options
2023-10-11 10:18:17

@mr_robot_dev 

Hi,
We have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 5

Tags

Tapo App
Related Articles