ONVIF GetStatus method does not work

2023-11-04 16:10:06
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 230908 Rel.75459n

I have a Tapo C500 v1(1.1.1 Build 230908 Rel.75459n) and a Tapo C520WS v1 (1.0.11 Build 230621 Rel.72773n) and both of them have the same issue. When requesting the "GetStatus" method of the ONVIF service it returns an Internal Server Error 500. If I do an "AbsoluteMove" with the same "ProfileToken" the request is successful and the camera moves as expected. So there is definitely something wrong with the "GetStatus" endpoint.

Are there plans to fix it? 

Options
8 Reply
Re:ONVIF GetStatus method does not work
2023-11-06 09:03:47

@Didi3r 

Hi,
1. Is the problem that you can adjust the direction of the Tapo cam via ONVIF connection but can't watch the camera's live feed?

2. What device and app do you use to watch the camera via ONVIF? What's the link you used to connect to the camera?

Please describe your network diagram in detail, and do you watch the camera locally via ONVIF?

3. How many devices watch the camera at the same time, including using the Tapo app and streaming the camera via ONVIF/RTSP?

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-06 17:37:13

@Solla-topee 

1. No, the problem is that the "GetStatus" endpoint on the ONVIF API of the cameras is returning an "Internal Server Error 500". The live stream works fine, this is more related to the ONVIF API exposed by the camera in the port 2020.

2. It's not a specific app I'm using. I'm sending HTTP requests directly to the cameras OINVIF API at http://<cemera_ip>:2020 with the corresponding user and password. As I said, some of the endpoints of the API work as expected ("GetConfiguration", "GetNode", "GetCOnfigurationOptions", etc) but the "GetStatus" in particular fails with an internal server error. 
    The network diagram is very simple, both my cameras and my MacBook are connected to the same network (MB via wifi, cameras via ethernet) so there is a direct connection between them inside the local network. No firewalls, no VLANs no nothing. 
    ​​​​​​​
  3. As of now, only 1 device watches the camera at the same time through the official iOS Tapo app. I want to integrate my cameras to https://frigate.video/ open source NVR. The integration is failing on the ONVIF connection which is why I'm debugging why it's falling and I've realized that the "GetStatus" endpoint of the camera's ONVIF API is not working properly as I mentioned earlier.

Options
2023-11-08 03:37:36

@Didi3r 

Hi, 
We have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options
2024-01-24 18:26:03

Solla-topee wrote

@Didi3r 

Hi, 
We have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

@Solla-topee 

Hi.

Please, any update about this issue?

I have a C510w and same problem with API requests to endpoints "device-getcapabilities" and "ptz-getstatus"  (almost).

Thanks.

Andrés.

Options
2024-01-26 06:13:57

@Andr3s12 

Hi,
We have released a new firmware for your Tapo C510W, you can update the firmware via the Tapo app and check if it will solve your case.
Best Regards

Options
2024-01-26 18:21:51

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Many thanks for firmware update. 

(device) GetCapabilities endpoint continues with same problem, but isn't problem because ONVIF docs says that the method has been deprecated and replaced by GetServices.

(ptz) GetStatus, now responds ok, but the "UtcTime" element should be returned in the ISO 8601 format.

Regards.
Andrés.

Options
2024-01-26 18:31:04

@Andr3s12 

When I was contacted by the engineering team I mentioned the date format issue and they said they were going to evaluate if the change the format to ISO or keep it as is.

Options
2024-04-30 20:20:31

Hi  @Solla-topee

Please, any update about this onvif bad implementation?

Thanks.

Regards.
Andrés.

Andr3s12 wrote

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Many thanks for firmware update. 

(device) GetCapabilities endpoint continues with same problem, but isn't problem because ONVIF docs says that the method has been deprecated and replaced by GetServices.

(ptz) GetStatus, now responds ok, but the "UtcTime" element should be returned in the ISO 8601 format.

Regards.
Andrés.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 629

Replies: 8

Related Articles