Tapo / Kasa hubs unreliable internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-09 18:21:27 - last edited 2023-12-12 02:32:21
Model: Tapo H100   KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

My Tapo and Kasa hubs keep disconnecting from the internet for no apparent reason.

LEDs on the hubs are orange when that happens. It seems they keep working locally to allow the different sensors to communicate with the other devices (i.e. the Kasa hub correctly adjust the KE100 valves depending on the temperature readings from the T315 thermometer) but they disconnect from the internet so I can't control any device when I'm not home.

This will happen randomly - the hub may be reachable remotely and correctly working for days, then disconnect and become remotely unreachable for a few minutes, or hours, or days. Turning it off then on again doesn't solve anything (I can do that remotely thanks to a smart plug from another manufacturer). The only thing that works is going home - of course when I am on the same wifi network I can see all the devices working in the TPlink apps, and then when I leave again (home and wifi network) the hubs will stay connected and reachable for at least a few hours. But, having to go home just to reconnect with my devices kills all the purpose of having remotely controllable smart devices...

I've tried every suggestion to make my network more stable (apart from setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 because I don't have that option in my router), to no avail. The thing is, I have several other 2.4GHz devices that work just fine when the TP link hubs don't. My router is just a few meters away from the hub, in the same room, using a wifi channel not disturbed by neighboring networks.

I have had several Tapo smart plugs, they exhibited the same behaviour, erratically disconnecting and appearing unreachable. Of 6 plugs no more than 3 appeared reachable at any given time. So I ended up replacing these with smart plugs from another manufacturer and these work just fine, rock-solid connection 100% of the time. Now I'm left with just my Kasa KE100 valves, Kasa hub and 4 thermometers, 3 T315 and one T310. I hope I don't have to replace all my KE100 thermostats since these were quite an investment and the integration with the T315 and T310 thermometers is wonderful - all other manufacturers rely on the internal thermometer of each valve.

I'm no network engineer but since all my other 2.4GHz devices work just fine at all times, it must be something with how the TPlink hubs work and communicate over the internet that makes them unreliable *at my home* (no doubt they work fine for others). Now if I could just figure out what it is...

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo / Kasa hubs unreliable internet connection
2023-12-12 02:30:18

@Balgruuf 

Can you share your network topology here (including models of the network devices)? It doesn't seem to be a coincidence that all kasa and tapo devices experience the same issue.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-12-12 22:12:51

@Wayne-TP 

Modem is a ZTE WebCube (works with a phone sim card)

Since it has never worked correctly and it doesn't create its own 2.4GHz wifi (network is created when I power the modem on, but soon disappears) I use a Devolo Wifi6 Repeater 3000 which creates a 2.4GHz wifi with a different SSID from the 5GHz one of the modem. Modem, repeater and Kasa hub are in the same room. 

Probably not the best setup and the 4G+ reception for the modem isn't always perfect, but still: all other 2.4GHz devices I have, from other manufacturers, work flawlessly.

I also have a drone camera (Enabot EBO) which works very well and streams its videos using the 5GHz wifi, always flawlessly.

Using this drone I have come up with a workaround for when the Kasa hub is unreachable - I have got a Tapo T100, and set up an automation that turns the heating on when the motion detector is triggered; I will then use the EBO drone to trigger the T100. A second automation using the new geofencing feature of the Kasa app, turns the first automation on only when I'm not at home.

Options
2023-12-15 06:38:55

@Balgruuf 

How many network devices do you have in total? Does the repeater bridge to modem through ethernet or wireless connection?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-12-17 16:53:25

@Wayne-TP 

No the repeater is connected by wireless.

On the 2.4GHz network I have the kasa hub, the vacuum robot and a dozen smart plugs and lamps. Everything works always except the TP-link hubs.

I have to admit that lately, it seems to have become more stable. It still disconnects sometimes, but more rarely than before, and only for an hour or two.

Options
2023-12-19 02:53:12

@Balgruuf 

If possible, it is recommended to connect the repeater to the router using a wired connection and set it up as an access point. Wired connections are more stable and faster compared to wireless bridging, especially for a network extension device.

And It seems like you have quite a few 2.4GHz devices in your network. How many 2.4GHz devices does your repeater support at most? If the number exceeds the limit, you may experience issues like device disconnection, unstable connections, or loss of connectivity.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 429

Replies: 5

Related Articles