Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.

Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.

34 Reply
Re:Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.
2024-02-04 17:04:14

@Nickatsikas same problem. I have tried everything! Reset button not working, bought a micro SD card, formated to FAT32, renamed the bin file as explained on the website, put the card in the camera ... nothing. Great job TP-Link, you usually don't have hickups, but when you do ... you knock it out of the ball park!

Options
Re:Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.-Solution
2024-02-05 09:16:52 - last edited 2024-02-05 09:16:56

Hi All,
When upgrading the camera's firmware, any interruptions, such as unexpected power outages, network fluctuations, or closing the app, can lead to upgrade errors. In some rare instances, these issues might even result in the camera becoming unusable (bricks).

If the problem happens, it's recommended to refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot, and this article outlines potential recovery methods for addressing these issues. If, regrettably, these suggestions can't restore your camera to normal functionality, it's suggested to contact your retailer or local team to check if your camera is under warranty.
What to do if my Tapo Camera gets bricked after a firmware update?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.
2024-02-05 10:48:57 - last edited 2024-02-11 19:19:59

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

please stop repeating yourself, this is offensive to our faculty of perception.

We -among many others- all are "rare instances" of a bricked cam result after the update. The instructions for troubleshooting you posted doesn't work at all and our cameras are V1.0 version (year 2020-21 production model) so the warranty period has expired!

Options
2024-02-05 12:02:56

@Solla-topee thank you for the reply.

When updating the firmware There where no power outages/fluctuations as other devices in the house where running without any issues. My internet connection is fiber comming into the house and the wifi router that pushes internet in the house is an AX 1800 (also TP Link) and we both know that is a top product.

The phone that I started the firmware update is an iPhone 15 ProMax and did not even have time to close the app as I received an error message that disappeared promptly (red label on top of screen).

I understand how tech works as I am a Software Architect for a top IT Company (world wide player).

I am already looking for an upgrade as the camera was 3 years old ... it's just the bad taste left to a customer that really enjoys and usses your products. I have never owned a wifi router or a camera that is not TP link ... just saying ...

Options
2024-02-05 12:06:17
Speaking to a company like that will get you nowhere! Ordering a company to do something is not the way to do things! Be polite, explain, ask for solution, then politely ask if a replacement would be possible. Just plain rude!
Options
2024-02-06 01:59:47

It is too frustrating that overnight, due to the firmware update, the investment and performance of the C200 camera has gone down the drain. We demand a response and a solution from the company, as this was clearly a software issue. And it is too advantageous to pay for a product that months later the same manufacturer causes it to fail or discontinue its operation.

Options
2024-02-06 09:14:08 - last edited 2024-02-06 14:35:49

Hi  @DarkmanUK ,

I've spend to this company more than 2K in the last 2-3 years and a bricked C200 is less than 5% loss, but I would expect from the company -whose products we have trusted for years- to take responsibility precisely because the damage occurred in 1 specific update to all of us. The SOLUTION! offered in this text (for 2nd time) above is absolutely ineffective and they know that warranty has expired. This is irritating to say the least...

We await a serious response (careful consideration) with a real effective solution or else, replacement of the product damaged by the specific update version, obviously in conjunction with the version of the Tapo mobile app.

Options
2024-02-07 21:12:39

@Solla-topee I have a C200v1 and the solution that you propose, doesn't works. Also out of warranty. Please work on another solution

Options
2024-02-08 12:45:13 - last edited 2024-02-08 15:33:12

@Nickatsikas 

Same issue here. After push upgrade button in Tapo´s Android App, it behaved like it was stuck. The camera was not near to me so, during the stuck "upgrade", I pressed the reboot button in the app application. It happend last weekend but only now I came to realize that it is brick.

I´ve tried the procedure to upgrade it with a flash card, but didn´t work.

It´s clearly an issue in Tapos software. I´ve worked with device development and one of our main regard was with the software upgrade process.

In summary, that means I´ve lost my camera once it isn´t in warranty? Sad!!

Options
2024-02-08 12:50:56 - last edited 2024-02-08 12:54:28

@mcavalcante 

If pressing reboot in the Tapo´s App is a risk, why don´t you guys from Tapo development team don´t lock this button until there´s a response from the camera or whatsoever during the upgrade? Why don´t you ensure the upgrade only starts happens when the camera has completely and safely downloaded the new firmware? There´s a lot of ways to prevent the camera from brick.

It is clearly a bug / poor quality assurance problem!!

Options
Related Articles