*Tapo H100 cannot directly connect to Tapo smart plugs or smart lighting.

2024-01-17 21:17:28
Model: Tapo H100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

What does this mean? (from Tapo website)

With Tapo Smart Hub H100, you can trigger a Shortcut or control Tapo devices (such as smart plugs, smart lights and smart switches) based on sensor detection or with a button press. (*Tapo H100 cannot directly connect to Tapo smart plugs or smart lighting.)

I am looking to replace a few home automation devices and increase functionality. (currently have a few rebranded Tuya plugs and lights)

Does the above mean that any simple automations between say a smart plug and smart button, or smart light and motion sensor, can't happen locally, but would need to be over the internet/cloud?

Options
1 Reply
Re:*Tapo H100 cannot directly connect to Tapo smart plugs or smart lighting.
2024-01-18 20:31:39

Somewhat can answer my own question based on information and link I saw in another recent post

Sub-GHz network requires a central hub as a bridge to the internet. As the below network topology, the Tapo smart hub takes the role of the IOT gateway. It connects to your home router through a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network and broadcasts a Sub-GHz wireless network for the other sub-devices.

i.e. hub is just an internet gateway

Does that change with upcoming Matter certified gateways? I see reference to upcoming H500 and H100M.

Will local automations be possible without the internet? Either directly with TPLink Tapo or via a 3 party such as Google, Apple or Home Assistant etc?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 313

Replies: 1

Related Articles