C510W wifi connectivity issues

2024-02-14 11:42:35
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Had this camera a few weeks now and everything has been fine. but lately I have neem noticing it dropping connection to the network for periods of time. I have:

- checked wifi channel number and configured a different channel just in case there was conflicting traffic

- factory reset and reinstalled the C510W

- tested wifi signal strength for location of camera (it is only 11 feet from the router (Asus ZenWiFi)

Anybody got any other suggestions please?

Options
13 Reply
Re:C510W wifi connectivity issues
2024-02-14 14:47:34 - last edited 2024-02-14 14:53:49

@archercj I don't have any suggestions but I'm also seeing the same thing, its been flakey since the beginning for me. Mines 3-4 meters from the access point (Unifi AC Pro), I have 3 other Tapo cameras (C210) connected to the same access point with no issues and a further 2 connected to other access points in the house, again with no issues. Of the 60+ wi-fi device in the house, this is the only one with an issue.

Hardware version 1.0, Firmware 1.1.2

I also have a system on my LAN monitoring it using a ping every 60 seconds. Its all over the place and has a very high ping

Comparing that to a C210 that is sitting the same distance (well technically ~20cm closer as it's the other side of the garage wall), connected to the same access point. Its a night and day difference

Options
2024-02-14 15:24:40

@M3ntalBadg3r I have four other Deco cameras and they are all rock solid - TC65's and a C320WS. 1 of them is straight to the router, 2 of them via powerline adaptors and 1 via wifi (and that is 40ft away at the bottom of the garden). No issues at all with them hence why I purchased the C510W.

I've already reported an issue - the device will 'hard code' the first IP address it comes across when setting it up for the first time. And even if you fix the IP via the router the camera wont change on a reboot, it stays with the original IP. Only way to so it is fix it first and then set it up.

I have also noticed, even when the camera is fully operational, that quite often if you run an IP scan (I use Advanced IP scanner) it will not pick the device up.

Options
2024-02-14 19:01:51

@archercj 

yep I've noticed that it sometime stops responding to ping and shows offline in the Tapo app but is still streaming happily to my NVR. Somethings not quite right 

Options
2024-02-15 13:43:52

@M3ntalBadg3r maybe one for the Deco techies to pick up then. I have found them pretty good in the past.

Options
2024-02-19 09:48:13

@M3ntalBadg3r @archercj 
Hi,
For the unstable issue, you can refer to the link below to troubleshoot.
What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

If the problem remains, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. Go to the camera's Device Settings>Device Info page, tap the Wi-Fi icon, and send me the signal strength value.

2. Check the LED status on the camera when it disconnects: Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green etc.

3. How often does the issue happen, and how does the camera recover the connection, like reboot the camera, reboot the router, etc.?

4. You can try to reset the camera, connect it to a different Wi-Fi network, such as a hotspot Wi-Fi from your phone, and then check if it will work fine.

Best Regards

Options
2024-02-19 14:05:56
(1) RSSI 59dBm (2) Colour looks more reddish brown/orange when disconnected (3) Several times a day then automatically reconnects (no reboot that I am aware of) (4) Have tried a camera full reset several times but don't have a hot spot to connect to
Options
2024-02-22 16:27:04

The C510W in question is linked up to a 5 camera CCTV system linked to Blue Iris. Duding the night there was a minor incident in our street. The cameras (Deco's but not C510W) to the left and right of our property picked up some activity but I need the C510W to capture more detail. Sadly it didint pick any events up at that time. All 3 cameras, including the C510W, would normnally pick such events up (it was a car going down the street).

Sadly i am beginning to think the C510W is unreliable and not fit for purpose.

Options
2024-03-18 08:13:38

@archercj sadly this issue appears to have gone quiet.

The camera is basically unusable as it is not reliable, suffering from regular intervals of outage adn I am faced with the expense of replacing a camera that i snot very old.

Either there is an issue with this specific camera, which may be the case but given other peoples responses on this thread may not necessarily be the case, ir there is an issue with these types of wifi only cameras in general.

Having taken several steps, which include ensuring the firmware is the latest, fixing the IP address, several factory resets etc etc i am unsure of what to do next (apart from chuck it in the bin)

Options
2024-03-26 19:14:54

@M3ntalBadg3r something for you to try. 

I've been monitoring connectivity to the camera by using a ping trace which logs successful and unsuccessful pings. Up to now I was getting regulalr lost pings which was about 5% of all traffic over a 24 hour period. And more recently the camera simple stays disconnected.

Anyway I made 2 changes to my 2,4ghz wifi settings. One was to change the control channel from channel 10 to Auto (this then changed to channel 11). But I also noticed that in Wireless Mode I had b/g protection selected. Anyway I deselected it. Since then (12 hours) I have not had one failed ping and the camera has remained operational.

Now it's early days I know and I might come back tomorrow with a heavy heart but maybe something for you to try.

Options
2024-04-13 18:59:44

@archercj hi, I have the same problem you changed the band from b/g to what please?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1246

Replies: 13

Related Articles