Tapo C120 live view and notifications
Tapo C120 live view and notifications
2024-03-07 19:53:30
Model: Tapo C120  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.12 Build 240117 Rel. 56102n

Tapo C120

Live Video Issues:

From Outside my network, live video has lots of lagging and jerks while a speed test from my Galaxy S20+ reports my bandwidth exceeds 80Mbps.

This happens from multiple remote locations with good bandwidth, and a Wyze cam V3 right next to it on the same 2.4ghz network doesn't have the issue.

Unplugging the Wyze cam makes no difference, and the C120 reports signal strength of -48 to -50 RSSI.

Remote playback from SD card is better but still has the same issues.

Live playback from the same network as the C120, is much better, but still has small glitches at times.

The Tapo App and C120 both have the latest updates, the Galaxy S20+ is on Android 13 with the latest updates.

Notifications:

Is there a way to create a shortcut that can be ran when I'm home, to stop getting notifications while I'm working around the house?

I don't want to use privacy mode as I want recording either events or continous to the SD Card to continue, just stop the needless notifications everytime I walk in the front door.

Thanks for all assistance

Options
18 Reply
Re:Tapo C120 live view and notifications
2024-03-08 07:52:26

@TP-Mark 

Hi,
For the Live Video issue:
1. Confirm your network diagram, such as the internet cable--wireless router)))((( camera, phones, etc.
What's the model number of your router?
2. Can you share videos showing the problem when watching the Tapo C120 locally and remotely?

For the notification consult:
The shortcut feature does not support turning on/off the camera's notification feature, however, you can turn on/off the camera's notification feature by tapping the Home/Away mode, which may help in this case.
How to edit Home and Away Mode for Tapo&Kasa Cameras on the Tapo app?

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-09 02:52:14

@Solla-topee 

The Router is an Asus RT-AX56U, and the C120 is showing a -48 RSSI signal on it's 2.4ghz network (WiFi6 is disabled, so it's currently in AC mode).

No issues with any other devices on the network and our bandwidth is fast enough for multiple TV's to stream programming at the same time.

The video lags and halts when remotely viewing either a live stream from the camera, or playing back a detected clip from it's Samsung 128gb High Endurance Micro SD card.

The camera is set to detection mode of Pets, Vehicles and People and capture to SD card only.

Oddly enough If I record playback of a detected clip which is lagging and stopping during the recording, the downloaded clip then plays back fine from the same cell connection.

For that reason it will be difficult to show provide a clip showing the issue, as I'd have to record the app on my phones screen somehow.

Options
2024-03-10 14:59:06 - last edited 2024-03-10 15:01:16

@Solla-topee 

I have tried Hardware Acceleration On and Off, with no improvements.

Also tried UPnP which seems to give a faster remote network connection to the camera, but doesn't fix the lagging/stuttering Live Video/SD Playback issue.

(The app doesn't specify which ports should be open for the camera with UPnP)

UPnP is widely regarded to be a security exposure however.

A better solution is Port Forwarding, but I'd need to know which ports are required.

Options
2024-03-10 17:56:35

@TP-Mark You're not alone I have the same problem. I have wyze cameras and Arlo cameras. Both have no problem live viewing when I'm away from my house. c-120s work great at home but when I'm out and about, c120s don't work well. My router is Google mesh My upload and download speed at home is 300 300 fiber optic. My wireless carrier is Verizon Wireless.

Options
2024-03-10 19:38:14

@Jjl290 

Sorry to hear that as I really wanted to like the C120, since the 2k video, on camera AI and detection is better than my Wyze Cam V3's.

I have a Tapo 520WS coming tomorrow and may try a wired doorbell. (hoping they are much better at remote live/clip playback).

I think this is either a slow processor (converting video images to MP4), or an on camera wifi chip with hiccups.

Wyze has better shortcut, scene and automations for things like notifications you don't want while home, without stopping recording entirely. (privacy mode).

Hopefully Tapo improvements are coming though:  https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/stories/detail/502100

Options
2024-03-12 09:44:17

@Jjl290 @TP-Mark 

Hi,
The problem may be related to network fluctuations, you can try to turn off the VPN on your phone, connecting your phone to different networks for a try.

If the problem remains, please help collect the camera log by referring to the instructions below and send me the log file.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera?

If you can provide a video showing the problem, which is highly appreciated. In your situation, you can watch the camera remotely on your phone and use the Screen Recorder feature on it to record the video.

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-12 15:25:33

@Solla-topee 

I do not use a VPN on the phone, or on my home network.

Our home network is robust enough for multiple HD streams at the same time, and also works fine for live HD programming.

Also, a Wyze cam on the same network doesn't have this stuttering issue.

The attached recording was taken in Live View mode from my cellular network, notice the ripples in the pond and how they stop and start

File:
C120 Live View Lagging.mp4Download
Options
2024-03-12 15:27:25

@Solla-topee 

The attached video was taken in playback mode while connected to my cellular network.

Notice how the dog stops and starts along with the ripples in the pond.

File:
C120 Playback Lagging.mp4Download
Options
2024-03-12 15:28:32

@Solla-topee 

Your webpage will not allow me to upload the diagnose_log file from the C120, attached is the error the wepage gives.

It will also not allow more than one file to be attached, which is why I've responded to your post three times.

File:
Can't upload diagnose_log.jpgDownload
Options
2024-03-13 01:30:46

@TP-Mark I have the same problem you have with the c120s. I have Arlo and I have Wyze both of which have no problem connecting when I'm away from my house. I guess the 120s are going to have to go back to Amazon unless they can fix this. I have Verizon FiOS fiber optic 300 up 300 down very fast internet and I have Google mesh system in my house. This is a problem with the c-120s not anything I'm doing

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1462

Replies: 18

Related Articles