Multiple Tapo P100 offline & factory reset not working

2024-04-07 17:00:41 - last edited 2024-04-08 14:24:21
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

Hi there,

I have three P100 that have been failing to connect for about 10 days now.

Two of them are not easily accessible, so I've been trying with just the third one so far. That one was actually the first one to fail, the two others failed a couple days later.

Unplugging and plugging it back in did nothing, LED is fixed green but it's not connected in the Tapo app and it's not connected either on my wifi access point.

Trying to do a factory reset (10 sec button press) in that situation does absolutely nothing.

When I plug it out and then immediately back in, the LED becomes fixed orange (no idea why that changes), it's still nowhere to be seen in the app or the wifi AP.

And trying to do a factory reset (10 sec button press) in that situation also does absolutely nothing.

When I plug it out and then immediately back in, the LED is still fixed orange. But after some undetermined amount of time being unplugged, the LED goes back to fixed green...

I do want to point out that the P100 is still passing current no problem in all these situations.

At this point, I don't think there's much more I can possibly do and feel like I have potentially 3 dead weights...

Anyone ever encountered this kind of behaviour ?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Multiple Tapo P100 offline
2024-04-08 08:18:07

@gnuwinni 

The smart plug fails to connect to the cloud when it shows an orange led. 

• Try to restart the whole network.
  • And change router DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

How do you tell the plug is not connected to wifi? Did you check AP's client list? Is it possible that the plug switches to the router WiFi or another AP?

Please share your network topology here. Maybe a simple drawing, or you can describe it as clear as possible.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Multiple Tapo P100 offline & factory reset not working
2024-04-08 08:38:56 - last edited 2024-04-08 14:26:00

@Wayne-TP 

• Already restarted the network (ISP modem/router & wifi AP). All the other wifi devices have no issue. I also forgot to mention I have a fourth P100 (same hw & fw version) that is still functioning properly and is connected to the Tapo app.
  • I cannot change the modem/router DNS config, it is fixed by the ISP (Orange Livebox 4). What FQDNs is the plug trying to reach to connect to Tapo cloud ? Maybe I can try to see if there's a resolution issue.

I can tell the plugs are not connected to wifi because they're not in the AP's client list. My wifi AP is a TP-Link EAP225. The ISP modem/router wifi is turned off (and has different wifi settings anyway).

Internet ---- Fiber ONT (converts fiber to copper, pretty common equipment) ---- Orange Livebox 4 (modem/router, DNS, DHCP) ---- EAP225 (Wi-Fi AP) ---- [wifi devices]

And all this still doesn't explain why the factory reset procedure fails...

Options
2024-04-10 02:47:39

@gnuwinni 

This does sound strange. We would like to escalate your case to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago

@Wayne-TP I am having similar problem with one of my Tapo P100. It keeps showing the green led when plugged. And it does not respond to factory reset(be it 5secs or 10 secs power button pressed)

Options
a week ago

MDLI wrote

@Wayne-TP I am having similar problem with one of my Tapo P100. It keeps showing the green led when plugged. And it does not respond to factory reset(be it 5secs or 10 secs power button pressed)

@MDLI 

Remove the appliance and let it unplugged for a bit. Then plug it back in and wait for it to boot up. Then you can execute the reset again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 223

Replies: 5

Related Articles