Wrong time shown on timestamp / recording, no way to adjust DST offset / NTP server

Wrong time shown on timestamp / recording, no way to adjust DST offset / NTP server

a week ago
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Tapo C510W in use since December 2023, located in Eastern time zone (UTC -5). Was showing proper time stamp on OSD and SD recordings, until DST started on March 2nd. Since then, there is a 1 hour offset on the camera, and no way to set proper DST time.

Have tried changing camera setting from UTC -5  to UTC -4, which seemed ok at first; but as soon as I leave the app and come back, the time is wrong again.

Have rebooted and reformattted SD card numerous times, no difference. It appears that this Tapo camera does not allow for DST adjustments, nor NTP server changes.

I can confirm that my router's time and NTP is properly following DST time, and is not blocking any NTP requests.

I have several other ONVIF cameras in use (different brands), and they are all adjusting properly (and automatically) for DST, with no manual input needed required by me.

This seems to be a Tapo camera issue that others have reported, any useful solution,  @TP-Link ?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Wrong time shown on timestamp / recording, no way to adjust DST offset / NTP server
a week ago

@Eeleye 

Hi,

If your camera has an incorrect time, usually, you can refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot.

Tapo Camera Shows Wrong Date and Time

Please help confirm the following information if the problem remains.

1. Whether the time shown on the Tapo app>camera's Live View page have an hour offset?

2. What's your location and time zone? What's the time zone/region have you selected on the Tapo camera?

Best Regards

Options
Re:Wrong time shown on timestamp / recording, no way to adjust DST offset / NTP server
a week ago

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

1. Time shown on Tapo app live view is wrong by 1 hour

2. As previously mentioned, I am in Eastern time zone USA (America / New York UTC-5), and the camera is set to the same. Daylight savings time (DST) is used from March to November here.

The problem is that this Tapo camera / app does not give the option to set daylight savings time (- 1 hour) or sync to current time based on location. ALL my other camera devices / router have a setting to enable daylight savings or sync time. The Kasa app lets me sync time & location for my Kasa switches, but not the Tapo app.

I tried to change the camera location to America/ Caracas UTC -4  to get rid of the 1 hour offset. It works very briefly when I go back to live view (shows the updated proper time); but after I exit the app or reboot the camera, the 1 hour offset comes back, even though I am still showing Caracas UTC -4 on Tapo app.

Troubleshooting was done, and as I previously mentioned, there is no problem with NTP p123 being blocked, all my devices and other cameras can access and sync with NPT server. I'm using a different public DNS than Google, but still, NTP is not being blocked. My router has the option to intercept LAN NTP requests and use router time, and I've tried with and without this setting enabled - no difference, the Tapo camera is still showing wrong time after reboot.

Options
a week ago

@Eeleye 

Hi,

Generally, the Tapo Cam will sync with the NTP server to obtain the correct time after selecting the Time Zone on the Tapo app.

In your situation, if the Tapo C510W is connected to a third-party program via RTSP/ONVIF, I suspect the time problem is related to the third-party program. Please disconnect the RTSP/ONVIF connection for the Tapo C510W and then check if it will display the correct time and date.

Best Regards

Options
a week ago

@Solla-topee 

HI: I did completely remove the C510W rtsp/onvif stream from my nvr, / 3rd party program but the same problem persists. After removing from third-party, I reboot C510W, when it re-initializes it will show my proper time in the Tapo app live view for only 5 seconds, then the timestamp quickly goes back the wrong time (+1 hour). I tried several reboots after removing rtsp stream and problem is not resolved.

What is strange is that I used to have a Tapo C200 also connected to my nvr via rtsp, and do not recall having this problem.  My nvr and 3rd party program have the proper time settings (including DST option), and are showing proper timestamp on all live feeds (5 cameras, different brands).

The only proper time being shown in the Tapo app is motion detection recordings; but the timestamp on the image is refusing to show proper time and always 1 hour ahead.

Which ntp server address is this camera connecting to?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 111

Replies: 4

Related Articles