A blunt review of the Tapo C320 cam from an UNwizer!

2024-05-19 04:17:49

For many reasons, I'm looking to change brand loyalty for my cameras.

Tapo looked like a phenomenal alternative.

Cost effective, great colour night vision, it seems to check all the boxes.

That is, until I get the C320ws home and installed.

Verdict:

Very good camera,

Absolutely HORRIBLE APP!!!

I'm left wondering what TP Link were/are thinking. 

The deal killer for me, is that IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN OFF THE SPOTLIGHTS WITHOUT SWITCHING TO IR MODE (no colour night mode) or "Day" mode (washed out, low contrast, no blacks).

Why??? It just doesn't make sense...

All these lights do is attract flying insects, plus, If it's even slightly misty, they render the camera useless.

Putting electrical tape over the lights improves the camera. But, that means I can't use them when I want to have them on!

Just to make the situation even more ridiculous, they DO include an option to turn off the tiny Status LED.

It seems as if TP Link decided that they know better than the end user how their cameras should be used and built a "Nanny App" to make sure their unruly customers stayed inside the lines and behave the way the designers think they should.

Its a pity, the camera IS good, less visual noise than the ones I'm replacing, maybe not quite as sensitive (stars aren't quite as visible), but the inability to do the one basic function of having the light separate from the camera mode makes Tapo useless. I have zero interest in watching insects leave light trails all night.

Goodbye Tapo. Your getting packed up and taken back to the store.

Options