Issue with C510W losing connection

Issue with C510W losing connection

18 Reply
Re:Issue with C510W losing connection
2024-07-23 09:05:55

@archercj 

Hi, 
The reasons for the C510W connection problem may be different in different usage scenarios. If you are willing to cooperate with the troubleshooting, please provide the following information for further analysis.

1. Your network diagram. 
What's the model number of your router? Is the C510W connected to your router's Wi-Fi directly? When it's working, please go to its Device Settings>Device Info page, tap the Wi-Fi icon, and send me the detailed RSSI value.

2. How about the LED status on the camera when it shows offline? Is it connected to the Wi-Fi name but has no internet connection?

3. Ensure the Tapo app and the firmware of the camera are up to date.

4. If the Tapo C510W is not connected to the original power cable and power adapter, please have a try.

Best Regards

Options
2024-07-25 07:09:09
1. Your network diagram. What's the model number of your router? - Asus ZenWifi AC Is the C510W connected to your router's Wi-Fi directly? - Yes When it's working, please go to its Device Settings>Device Info page, tap the Wi-Fi icon, and send me the detailed RSSI value. - -76(RSSI) 2. How about the LED status on the camera when it shows offline? Is it connected to the Wi-Fi name but has no internet connection? - no connection to the internet (I use IPCAN) and it is an orange light 3. Ensure the Tapo app and the firmware of the camera are up to date. - yes they are.There was an update last week 4. If the Tapo C510W is not connected to the original power cable and power adapter, please have a try. - it is the original power cable
Options
2024-07-25 08:23:24

@archercj 

Hi,
The wireless signal strength is weak when the camera is working, which may be a reason causes the unstable connection issue. You can try the suggestions in the following link and check if it helps.
What should I do if my Tapo smart device keeps losing connection or going offline?
Best Regards

Options
Re:Issue with C510W losing connection-Solution
2024-07-25 12:09:57 - last edited 2024-07-26 10:17:55

@archercj Just to give a feedback about the issue I had (maybe your's different)

I still have no idea about the root cause of the problem. But, using the cameras at exactly the same place and same conditions, both works fine now.

The reason was discovered by luck.
During my tests, I had to move a little bit the cameras to get a better access. Unfortunatly, the external fixed power cable I used (used to power also two halogen projectors) was a little but to short.
So I decided to use simple electric extension cord, connected on a plug in the room near the cameras. And the result was that everything worked fine !After reconnecting the cameras on the external power cable, same troubles starts again.
After testing this twice, each time I used the simple electrical cord it was OK.

I decided to laid a dedicated external power câble for the cameras.
Since then, they wor perfectly, Never disconnected from wireless network again.

Maybe my feedback will help.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-25 14:58:50 - last edited 2024-07-25 15:12:00

I have tried the camera in several locations - including one where the camera was on an outside wall but the router was directly next to it on the inside - a distance of around 40cm's away. The current location also has a Tapo P110 smart plug so I can switch the camera off and back on when ity loses connection. This is also wireless and never has an issue but I do agree the RSSI level was low.

So I have moved the router and am now getting an RSSi of -52 which is much more acceptable. Will keep you updated.

Options
2024-07-26 10:20:21

@archercj 

Hi,
Thank you for your attempt, and please feel free to reply if there are any updates.
Best Regards

Options
2024-08-06 10:09:59

Just an update on this since my post a week ago.

Having moved my 2nd router and improving my RSSI from -76 to -55 on the camera I have not had one drop out.

Still not 100% convinced as I have had the camera much nearer to the router in the past (and only through one modern house wall) but still experienced regular drop outs.

Out of interest, despite the stability, the cameras status light is now always amber. Is that correct?

Options
2024-08-07 11:15:06

@archercj 

Hi,
1. The Wi-Fi network is easily affected, not only the distance, the obstacles, or other interferences in the environment also affect the signal strength. It's suggested to judge the camera obtained signal strength from the RSSI value on the Tapo app.

2. The solid amber light on the Tapo C510W means the camera is connected to the Wi-Fi network but has no internet or is not connected to our cloud server. You can turn off the Wi-Fi on your phone, and check if you can control or manage the camera via mobile data.
If not, reboot your router, then reboot the camera after 5 minutes for a try.

Best Regards

Options
Related Articles