Detection Range

Detection Range
Detection Range
2024-06-17 23:15:27 - last edited 2024-06-26 07:54:57
Model: Tapo C425  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.7

Hi Tapo fans.  New here.

Just retired my Arlo Pro2 camera (end of life) and bought two new C425 V1.0 cameras.

Seem to be working OK but only sometimes (day or night) detecting a vehicle passing from left to right about 14 metres straight out from the camera.  Camera is 2.2m above ground.  

Closer in activity wakes up, notifies and records just fine.

Wake up set to 10. Vehicle, Pet, Person and Motion Detection each on at 10 sensitivity.  Detection Zone set to full screen.  No Privacy Zones.

WiFi is 3 bars -44 RSSI.

The Arlo had no trouble at that distance.  Am I asking too much from the Tapo?

Cheers,

Tui

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Detection Range-Solution
2024-06-24 11:38:31 - last edited 2024-06-26 07:54:57

@TuiHill 

Based on the observed performance, the current distance exceeds C425's optimal detection range. Try lowering the camera height to see if this makes any improvement. 

The battery camera begins recording events when it wakes up. However, the farther the movement is from the camera, the less effective it is at triggering the camera, which can result in shorter recorded videos or missed events. The detection range depends on its mounting height, installation angle, the distance to the movement event, and the event's duration. Consequently, an exact value cannot be provided.  

This article might be helpful for you, take a look. How to Install and Configure Battery-Powered Cameras for Optimal Detection Performance

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Detection Range-Solution
2024-06-24 11:38:31 - last edited 2024-06-26 07:54:57

@TuiHill 

Based on the observed performance, the current distance exceeds C425's optimal detection range. Try lowering the camera height to see if this makes any improvement. 

The battery camera begins recording events when it wakes up. However, the farther the movement is from the camera, the less effective it is at triggering the camera, which can result in shorter recorded videos or missed events. The detection range depends on its mounting height, installation angle, the distance to the movement event, and the event's duration. Consequently, an exact value cannot be provided.  

This article might be helpful for you, take a look. How to Install and Configure Battery-Powered Cameras for Optimal Detection Performance

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Detection Range
2024-06-25 21:51:38

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks Wayne. I was afraid of that.

Anyway, as time passes the camera's performance appears to be improving with respect to detection and other glitches. The zone I outlined in the screenshot is now detecting vehicles just fine.

I know there is a manual training function to instruct it as to what is or is not a detection event.  Perhaps the AI takes a while to get used to its operating environment but settles down into optimum performance after tweaking its settings on its own. Well done if that's the case.

Cheers,

Rick

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 452

Replies: 2

Related Articles