Camera not showing live view but can access recordings from SD Card

2024-06-20 14:54:06
Model: KC420WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.24

Hi,

I have 3 Kasa cameras, 2 of which work fine (older models) but the newer one seems to have some issues.

If I turn on the power to the camera, it all seems to work fine for a few days but then the live streaming view in the app stops working. It just spins away but never showing the Live View. Activity detection also stops at the same time. The note below the camera in the Cameras-List in the app shows something like 'Activity detected 4 days ago'.

However, I can still access the previously recorded footage from the SD Card over the WIFI without any issues or delay, so the camera appears to be still connected to WIFI.

The WIFI access point (TP Link) is about 5 metres away from the camera whereas the other cameras are much further away from their WIFI access points.

The strength seems to be fairly good.

I can also switch the camera on and off using the On/Off button in the app (on the list of cameras or the Camera On/Off sliding-switch within the Device Settings section).

When doing so, I can see the Green Light on the actual camera go off without any delay, then back on, respectively, but switching the camera Off, then back On in this way doesn't do anything to restore the Live View.

If I turn the power Off then back on again via the mains socket supplying the USB to the camera, the camera does once again show the Live View within the app.

If I'm not home, it's obviously not possible to restart it so I completely use the Live View without any hope, it seems, of getting it back.

Even if the WIFI signal to that camera did get briefly weak, which I'm not sure that it does, I'd expect/hope the camera Live View to reconnect once the signal is restored. The 24/7 recording is certainly is still available for the time previous to losing the Live View but why is the Live View not available until restarting the camera using the power supply?

Does it require complete power off/on to restore it?

Thanks for your help.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Camera not showing live view but can access recordings from SD Card
2024-07-02 03:46:38

@MicUser 

Hi,
You can refer to the tips below and check if they will help.
  1. Please ensure your camera and the Kasa app are up to date.
  2. Go to the camera's Device Settings>Advanced Settings page to disable the Hardware Acceleration option and check if it helps.
  3. Clean caches on your phone for the Kasa app, force close your Kasa app, and open it again, then check if you can watch the camera's live feed.

If the problem remains, please let me know the model number and OS version of your phone.

Best Regards

Options
2024-07-02 11:34:07

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Thank you for the info.

The app is up to date and and also the device firmware for all cameras.

I've disabled hardware acceleration via the Android app (that setting didn't seem to be available on the IOS app).

I will see if it fixes the issue.

The camera is usually ok for a while but goes off after a day or 2, so I will need to keep an eye on it. 

I did notice that the live view has been unavailable again for the last few days, in spite of the camera green light showing as on and the green light responding to switching on or off from the app.

On checking the recordings, there were also no recordings saved on the SD card from that period for the last few days.

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of camera functioning but I'd think that if the camera wasn't recording, my thought would be that it may be a problem with the camera itself rather than anything related to the app or Wifi, since the camera recordings are local to the camera but only a guess, of course.

Thank you again, I will see how it goes.

Regards,

Steve

Options
2024-07-03 06:19:20

@MicUser Thank you for your cooperation, and please feel free to let me know if there are any updates. smiley

Options
2024-07-10 21:35:01

@Solla-topee 

Hi Solla,

I checked the camera a few days ago and again, it stopped recording, later in the day after making those settings changes (hardware acceleration).

So the last recording was 6 days ago with no recordings since or live view.

The Wifi connection is still fine but as the camera is not recording to the local SD card, I assume that there's actually an issue with the camera itself.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Steve

Options
2024-07-11 07:59:32

@MicUser 

Hi,
1) Have you used the original power adapter and power cord to power the camera rather than using a power extension cord? If you have used the power extension cord, please power on the camera with the original power adapter and power cord for a try, it may be a reason to cause the reported issue.

2) You can also remove the SD card from the camera to test if the problem will happen.

Best Regards

Options
2024-07-11 10:05:49

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Thank you for suggestions.

I'm using all original items for power for the camera.

I've removed the SD Card but no Live View is showing.

How do I return this camera for a refund?

Thank you,

Regards,

Steve

Options
2024-07-11 10:59:49

@MicUser 

Hi,

You can contact the retailer or local team to check the warranty policy of your product. Please let me know if you want to continue troubleshooting this issue, and I'll escalate it to the tech team for further analysis.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 7

Related Articles