Device Limit Error on Tapo Camera - Video Quality Downgrade

2024-08-16 12:35:04 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C325WB  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.17

Hello TP-Link Support Team,

I am experiencing an issue with my Tapo camera where I intermittently receive the following message: "It looks like you've reached your device limit for playing this video. Tap to retry."

This error occurs even though the camera is only connected to my NVR and the Tapo app, totalling just two connections at any time. However, when this error appears, the video quality is downgraded to 720p.

I suspect there may be a glitch where the system doesn't recognize a disconnected device instantly, causing it to incorrectly register more than two active connections.

Would it be possible to increase the device limit slightly to three concurrent devices to prevent this issue? Alternatively, I would appreciate any guidance on how to resolve this problem effectively.

Note: I also have another Tapo camera (Tapo C320WS, HW Version: 2.0, Firmware: 1.1.15) and I have never encountered this error on that camera since purchase. I use C320WS on exact same setup.

Thank you for your assistance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Device Limit Error on Tapo Camera - Video Quality Downgrade-Solution
2024-08-19 07:12:45 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@SubM 

Hi,
For remote viewing, there is generally no limit on the number of devices.
For local viewing, typically no more than 3 devices can view the camera live stream at the same time. If there are any devices viewing the camera through ONVIF or RTSP protocols, each of those connections will also count toward the local viewing limit.
The Tapo camera supports two main streams(high quality) at the same time. If both are occupied, the other device can only view the camera through the substream(low quality).

In your case, please confirm: 
1. Do you see the error message when watching the camera's live stream or video clips stored on the SD card? 
2. Generally, how many devices watch the camera via the Tapo app or RTSP?
3. Have you shared your camera with other accounts? Or have you shared your account with other people?
4. You can reboot the camera when the error appears to disconnect all the connections, then watch it again when it's rebooted.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Device Limit Error on Tapo Camera - Video Quality Downgrade-Solution
2024-08-19 07:12:45 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@SubM 

Hi,
For remote viewing, there is generally no limit on the number of devices.
For local viewing, typically no more than 3 devices can view the camera live stream at the same time. If there are any devices viewing the camera through ONVIF or RTSP protocols, each of those connections will also count toward the local viewing limit.
The Tapo camera supports two main streams(high quality) at the same time. If both are occupied, the other device can only view the camera through the substream(low quality).

In your case, please confirm: 
1. Do you see the error message when watching the camera's live stream or video clips stored on the SD card? 
3. Have you shared your camera with other accounts? Or have you shared your account with other people?
4. You can reboot the camera when the error appears to disconnect all the connections, then watch it again when it's rebooted.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Device Limit Error on Tapo Camera - Video Quality Downgrade
2024-08-19 11:41:58 - last edited 2024-08-19 11:43:41

Thank you for your response.

Can you confirm if watching live stream via "Tapo App" when connected to the "same network as the Tapo i.e "LAN" " counts as "local viewing" or "remote viewing" ?

A: live stream (generally after getting alarm notification)

A: Generally only one device (NVR) is connected to the camera via RTSP all the time. and I only check via the app occasionally. even though the app connection is shared with another tapo account and other account can view it but I've ensured that no other account was viewing via tapo app when this error occurred.

A: Shared with only one tapo user but I've ensured that no other account was viewing via tapo app when this error occurs.

A: I already did that and it fixed the issue. But this seems to be happening frequently and not very convenient. Compared to the other tapo camera I have this one takes longer to reboot. I feel this is a glitch in the camera firmware in which wrongly counts active connection and should be fixed via software update.

Options
Re:Device Limit Error on Tapo Camera - Video Quality Downgrade
2024-08-20 09:14:40

@SubM 

Hi,
Generally, if your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi as the camera, this live stream on your phone counts as local viewing. 

I have escalated your case to the tech team, and they will contact you via email to continue troubleshooting your case. Please wait patiently.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 3

Related Articles