Tapo C500 Camera Getting Offline Frequently

2024-08-20 03:46:47 - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Recently I bought a few home CCTV cameras including C200 and C500.

Before mounting them to desired places I have placed them in a common place side by side to test them for a few days.

The C500 cameras are getting offline frequently while C200 cameras are very stable. All are placed in the same place side by side.

C200 camera version is 3.0 and Firmware version is 1.3.14

Initially I thought that my home WiFi router might have some issue.

After monitoring for the last two weeks I realize that my home WiFi router has no issue and it is working perfectly fine for other devices.

Next I have disconnected all the other devices except the Tapo cameras from my home WiFi router. The issue still persists.

Everytime it gets offline I have to power cycle the Tapo C500 Cameras manually and within a minute they are getting online.

Initially those Tapo 500 cameras were getting offline after 15-16hrs, now they are getting offline within 5-6hrs since the last power cycle.

I tried to get support from Live-Chat-Support but this URL seems to be a chatbot and no use for me.

If anyone has faced this problem before let me know how you have fixed this.

I have update the Firmware in all the Tapo camera. 1.1.4

I have observed that the signal strength in all the camera shows -39 to -42 different times of the day.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C500 Camera Getting Offline Frequently-Solution
2024-08-20 07:34:55 - last edited a week ago

@NiladriSR 

Hi,
Typically, you can refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot if the camera has an unstable issue.
What should I do if my Tapo smart devices keep losing connection or going offline?

Please help confirm the following information if the problem remains.
1. What's the model number of your wireless router?
2. Please send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address of your camera via a private message.
3. What's the LED status on the camera when it loses connection?
4. You can try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on your router, or connect the camera to the router's guest network, then check if it will work better.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:Tapo C500 Camera Getting Offline Frequently-Solution
2024-08-20 07:34:55 - last edited a week ago

@NiladriSR 

Hi,
Typically, you can refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot if the camera has an unstable issue.
What should I do if my Tapo smart devices keep losing connection or going offline?

Please help confirm the following information if the problem remains.
2. Please send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address of your camera via a private message.
4. You can try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on your router, or connect the camera to the router's guest network, then check if it will work better.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo C500 Camera Getting Offline Frequently
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee 

It's a JioFiber WiFi router JCOW411

I have sent you details of four camera.

• Two C500 I am having problem with. I have updated to latest firmware 1.1.4
  • One C500 not facing any issue so far. Has old firmware 1.1.1
  • One C200 not facing any issue so far. I have updated to latest firmware 1.3.14

When those two C500 camera goes offline the LED become RED.

I don't know exactly how to do that, but I can explore and figure out.

Before doing that I must emphasize that the other two camera is working fine so does all the other devices connected with the router.

So I really don't like to mess up things which are working fine.

I can see that many other user has encountred the same problem with C500 camera after updating the firmeare to 1.1.4.

Options
3 weeks ago

@NiladriSR 

Hi,
If you don't want to change the settings on your router, you can enable a hotspot Wi-Fi on your phone, factory reset a problematic C500, reconfigure it with a different phone to connect to the hotspot Wi-Fi, and then check if the camera will work fine.
I have pushed new firmware to the C500 with MAC address 24-XX-XX-XX-XX-EC, please update it via the Tapo app and check if this camera will work fine.
Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee 

Quick qury regarding - "factory reset a problematic C500"

Is it the same process resetting the camera? While camera is powered-on, holding the reset button for 5-6 sec.

I have pushed new firmware to the C500 with MAC address 24-XX-XX-XX-XX-EC

Sure, I will give it a try and monitor for few days and revert back to you.

Thanks

Options
3 weeks ago

@NiladriSR 

Hi, 
Thank you for your attempt, and the factory reset is the same process resetting the camera.
Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Since our last communication the problematic cameras stopped causing any problem and worked fine for 5-6 days till 29th of August.

Then I did a power cycle and I update the firmware you have pushed for one of the camera.

I will keep an watch for next two weeks and share you the details.

The other problematic camera keeps showing same problem everyday again.

Also I did reset the problematic cameras few times since they started showing the problems. This was advised in few of the community post. But that doesn't solve the problem.

I would like to emphasize that the other two non-problematic camera with old firmware till date shows no issue and I didn't power cycle them for more than one month.

NiladriSR

Options
2 weeks ago

@NiladriSR 

Hi,
Do you want us to push new firmware for the other problematic camera and test the performance?
Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee 

Regarding your last query -

Do you want us to push new firmware for the other problematic camera and test the performance?

No need, I can see both the cameras went offline today. So clearly new firmware update didn't resolve the problem.

If possible could you push old firmware 1.1.1? Another C500 camera with this old firmware having no trouble.

I didn't update the firmeare since it's the only camera working fine.

Not sure how to get exact Build and Rel# number.

NiladriSR

Options
2 weeks ago

@NiladriSR 

Hi,
It's unable to downgrade the firmware on the Tapo camera, but we will help solve the problem that occurs on the new firmware.

Does the Tapo C500 with MAC address "24-XX-XX-XX-XX-EC" use the firmware version 1.1.4 Build 240506 Rel.39487n? You can go to the camera's Device Settings>Device Info>Firmware Version page to check. This firmware version is not the one I pushed to your camera, and this camera does not update the new firmware successfully.

When the camera is working, on the camera's Device Settings>Device Info>Firmware Version page, please tap Check for Update and see if you can see the new firmware 1.1.4 Build 240709 Rel.55019n to update.

Best Regards

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Solla-topee 

Does the Tapo C500 with MAC address "24-XX-XX-XX-XX-EC" use the firmware version 1.1.4 Build 240506 Rel.39487n?

No! Here is the details -

Tapo C500 with MAC address "24-XX-XX-XX-XX-EC" has firmware 1.1.4 Build 240709 Rel.55019n 

Tapo C500 with MAC address "74-XX-XX-XX-XX-C8" has firmware 1.1.4 Build 240506 Rel.39487n

Tapo C500 with MAC address "40-XX-XX-XX-XX-8C" has firmware 1.1.1 Build 230908 Rel.75459n

The last camera doesn't face this problem.

NiladriSR

Options