KE100/KH100 Matter - invalid heating status in Home Assistant

a week ago - last edited Monday
Model: KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.19, 2.8.0

I just enabled Matter in Kasa app and added KH100 hub with KE100 thermostat valves to Home Assistant. I used these already in HA, but through unofficial integration plugin.

Problem: thermostat valves report "heating" whenever they are "on" (i.e. not in anti-freeze mode) regardless of the temperature and open/closed radiator. For example, there's 20°C detected in the room and 18° set, so the valve remains closed until the actual temperature drops below the latter value and there's a need for heating again. But even in this state, Home Assistant shows the device as "heating". While this behavior is consistent with green/grey on/off status shown in Kasa app, it is illogical and definitely needs to be changed both in the app and in Matter. In reality, "heating" is actually happening only when the radiator valve is open. There's no difference between "off" in app (with anti-freeze) and "off" when set temperature is lower than measured - in both cases the valve is closed and "off". I don't know why your implementation doesn't follow this reasoning.

I rely on "heating" (demand!) status to automate gas boiler operation, so swapping the existing HVAC entities with the ones from Matter broke the whole thing. It's really important.

Also it would be great if you could add hysteresis setting or fully manual open/close operation e.g. for floor heating. With external thermometer it is usable, but not exactly what I need.

Options
3 Reply
Re:KE100/KH100 Matter - invalid heating status in Home Assistant
Monday

@Trobalabau 

The valve will not close completely even when the temperature reaches the set temperature. If the valve is completely closed, the temperature is going to drop rapidly.

KE100 will adjust the opening and closing ratio according to the temperature change in order to maintain the temperature in a stable range.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Monday - last edited 4 hours ago

@Wayne-TP 

This is not what I observe, otherwise I would just return or sell all thermostats. The sound of valve closing is exactly when my current system reports "not heating" = off. And the other way around. Also I can accurately hear when the water is flowing and when it's not (or just sipping, which seems to be fine). For example, today the boiler is running for 7 hours and the radiator which should be off is a little cold to the touch (valve in "mode 2” below) exactly like the one next to it which is closed by analog means. Knowing the exact opening percentage would be nice, though.

You (TP-Link) need to understand that not everyone has constant supply e.g. from municipal heating plant. We have gas boilers, heat pumps etc. which work only when necessary. To automate our homes we need information from each thermostat if it's currently open (heat demand) or closed (even if not completely).

Basically right now there are three modes:

1. OFF in the app, effectively anti-freeze

2. ON in the app, when the measured room temperature is higher than needed and the valve is (mostly) closed. It's on standby, ready to be opened when needed. Valve must not report it's ON and "heating" when in fact it's not!

3. ON in the app and actually heating the room.

The only difference between 1 and 2 is the temperature! If you set the same value in 2 as anti-freeze, what's the difference? Only in reporting.

Also could you please confirm that my issue has been forwarded to the relevant teams and recorded as a potential bug? Again - it is illogical. Matter is in Beta so it is really important to give them feedback.

Options
4 hours ago

Home Assistant entities are exactly the same, just the reported state differs. Via unofficial integration it's "off" now, while via Matter it's "heat". So definitely Matter implementation in Kasa hub is causing this:
hvac_modes: off, heat
min_temp: 5
max_temp: 30
current_temperature: 20.8
temperature: 20
friendly_name: XXXXX
supported_features: 385

Similarly via "official" HA integration for TP-Link I just installed, it's "heat". But this time there's also:
hvac_action: idle
... which can be used in my automation instead of off/heat. And further confirms that Matter is broken as of now.

@Wayne-TP Also could you please confirm that my issue has been forwarded to the relevant teams and recorded as a potential bug? Again - it is illogical. Matter is in Beta so it is really important to give them feedback.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 122

Replies: 3

Related Articles