Factory reset without the reset button

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo C720  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

I changed the Wi-Fi address on my modem and my two C720 Floodlight Cameras went off line.  I clicked the Tapo “Details” on my mobile and there is a procedure if you changed the Wi-Fi SSID, you  can get the camera up and running.  The LEDs would not blink red and green and only show red.  These camera are mounted high and it was late at night, dark and inconvenient to get a ladder to climb and  press the reset button.  I switched the camera off at the mains (thinking this will reset the camera) waited a while, switch it back on but the LED is still red.  I then uninstalled the camera in the app and tried to re-install it hoping the LEDs would blink red and green.  Still red.

I have searched throughout the threads in this community and could not find any answers to this.  Is there a way to reset these cameras without the reset button please?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Factory reset without the reset button-Solution

@WSC4 

Hi,
Currently, it's required to factory reset the camera and reconfigure it to connect to the new Wi-Fi network.

In your situation, when the Tapo C720 is online when connecting to the old Wi-Fi network, you can remove it from the Tapo app to reset it, and then it will have a flashing green and red light. Then you can try to change the Wi-Fi name on the modem and reconfigure the camera to connect to the new Wi-Fi network.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Factory reset without the reset button
2 weeks ago
I'm having exactly the same problem. I hope there is a solution.
Options
2 weeks ago

@mscgunaydin 

Hitting the Gear Icon, there is a "Reboot Camera" down the bottom in Camera Settings.  This is a catch-22 situation, because with the camera off-line, you cannot get to it.

In details it states: If you've changed your home Wi-Fi network name (SSID) or password, please reconnect your smart device to Wi-Fi.  The last sentence is an underlined link in blue to do this.

From what I have read so far, you need and put back your old SSID or password in your modem or router. The camera in the app should then come back online.  From there, you can proceed with the reboot camera.  I will see what happens.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I tested this out, and I am afraid if you change your Wi-Fi SSID, the only way to get the camera back online is to press the reset button on the camera. Before I did that, I put back my old SSID and the camera came back online. In settings, I rebooted the camera, put back my new SSID, but it did not work. Switching the camera off and on a number of times at the mains switch does not help.

When pressing the rest button, I'm not too sure if you lose all your settings in the app and you have to key those back in. I uninstalled and reinstalled the camera, and I think that was a mistake.

Options
Re:Factory reset without the reset button-Solution

@WSC4 

Hi,
Currently, it's required to factory reset the camera and reconfigure it to connect to the new Wi-Fi network.

In your situation, when the Tapo C720 is online when connecting to the old Wi-Fi network, you can remove it from the Tapo app to reset it, and then it will have a flashing green and red light. Then you can try to change the Wi-Fi name on the modem and reconfigure the camera to connect to the new Wi-Fi network.
Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@Solla-topee 

Thank you.  Yes, that that will work without using the reset button on the camera.

What I should have done using the modem admin configuration, is to change back to my old Wi-Fi SSID.  Then in the app, Device Settings, Remove Camera.  Then back into the modem admin config, and change to the new Wi-Fi SSID.  In Tapo, Add Device, Outdoor Camera and install the C720 as a new install.

Of course, if you do it this way or use the factory reset button you lose all your previous settings. I don't know what I was thinking in my last post.

Thanks for your help in this situation.

Options
a week ago

@WSC4 It's my pleasure to help you~ smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 209

Replies: 6

Related Articles