Why is a seemingly basic feature like setting a static IP address not available on the tapo camera?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why is a seemingly basic feature like setting a static IP address not available on the tapo camera?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-07 13:22:05 - last edited 2023-02-08 02:21:05
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

I really don't understand how an internet device manufacturer can produce a security camera that CANNOT be set to Static IP. I went to find some documents about C200 and was really shocked when TPLink instructs customers to use their product.
  You need to bind IP&MAC on the router to be able to set static IP. First of all, put yourself in the customer's perspective, do you buy the product and want it to serve you or do you have to serve it? Next look at the security camera market and find me a company whose cameras can't set a static IP from the same device as you (sorry, not available). And programming to be able to set static IP is so difficult that your programmers can't do it. Also from a technical point of view, with my home using a mesh system (not TPLink of course), the device's terminal MAC when it arrives at the router is NOT the device's MAC, it varies depending on the mesh node. And you force me to set a static IP with the router's IP&MAC? Are you quizzing me?
I think you will comment like I have to find some way to get the device's real MAC to reach the router that provides DHCP, so please go back to my previous statement that I bought your product to make it serviceable. serve me or should I go serve it. You are a company specializing in manufacturing network equipment! Your job is to find solutions for your customers, not to present them. I hope these shares get to where they need to be. Thank you and have a nice day.

Options
3 Reply
Re: Why is a seemingly basic feature like setting a static IP address not available on the tapo camera?
2023-02-08 02:43:10

Hello  @minhpro 

Firstly, thank you for taking time to write this request and letting us know your thought about setting up static IP/ get IP from DHCP reservation.

Being able to set up static IP is very ideal, and it is more common for a surveillance system, we had a professional surveillance line that may suit your needs, I'm suggesting taking a looking at the TP-Link VIGI camera for static IP feature. 

To be honest, I do not see the static IP feature in the pipeline for the tapo camera yet,  this can due to its product position as a Home product as well as the market's need.

You can leave votes in comment below thread in Tapo feature request board, we will keep monitoring this feedback, thank you. 

[FEATURE REQUEST] TAPO Cameras ADD STATIC IP

Options
Re: Why is a seemingly basic feature like setting a static IP address not available on the tapo camera?
2023-04-19 07:11:39

@minhpro TAPO cameras are made for people who dont expect much of their cameras. I was late to discover that and am stuck with 3-4 TAPO C320WS cameras that are made to only work properly with TAPO Care at 15$ pr month :( 

Options
2023-06-16 04:52:20

@MontagoDK i concur.  lots of awesome features but it WILL MOT cooperate  on your network. i probably  have 3 dozen ip reservatiobs set and everything cooperates well (maybe not the wyze stuff) except Tapo! I uminstalled the cam, after setting its static ip in the router, then after removing the canera i reboot the router and then re attach the camera.   it takes whatever io it fri#n feels like! So all the rtsp headaches  these tapos cause are exasperated by its lack of nerworking common sense.  its alk in the programming.  Wish i knew before buying 3 of these bombs.

unhappy ex-customer.  you may have dazzled me into 3 cam purchases, but I am done with you!  Awesome way to be concerned about your customers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 728

Replies: 3

Related Articles