Votes

[FEATURE REQUEST] TAPO Cameras ADD STATIC IP

2022-01-04 07:28:07 - last edited 2023-10-26 08:47:24
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

good day tp-link I would like to atleast have a static ip option for the tapo cameras, its especially important when you have a central dvr and most cctv ipcams have static ip option.  I know that we should set a static IP on the router but it does not always work, the tapo camera goes for its dhcp first then after turning it off and on again it gets its static ip assignment. if we have a blackout and the power goes on back again the tapo camera will boot first before the router which would mess up the ip again. I hope STATIC IP feature is added. thanks

Consumers I need your help to upvote static IP to infinity

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[FEATURE REQUEST] TAPO Cameras ADD STATIC IP-Solution
2023-10-26 08:47:18 - last edited 2023-10-26 08:47:24

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and feature requests here. While I don't have specific details about when the feature to be able to configure static IP address will be available for Tapo cameras, I'll keep logging the feature requests and pass them along to the relevant team to evaluate.

In the meantime, if you are looking for an alternative solution to assign a static IP address to your camera, you can try configuring the address reservation feature on your router. 
Here we take the TP-Link router as an example, you can refer to the link below to set up the address reservation feature on the TP-Link router.
How to configure the Address Reservation on Wi-Fi Routers?

We value the user's experience and feedback. If you have tried the address reservation feature and find it ineffective for your specific use case, please feel free to share your experience. We are continuously paying attention to the user's feedback and will pass it on to the relevant department for evaluation and improvement of our products.

Best regards

Recommended Solution
Options
73 Reply
Re:TAPO Cameras ADD STATIC IP
2022-01-07 06:32:33

Hello @langamer101 

Do you mean you tried to reserve an IP address on host router for camera MAC but that fails sometimes? 

Thank you for your feedback with static IP, we will record your feedback first for further evaluation. 

Options
2022-02-06 15:23:12

@Solla-topee 

If consumers can not set static IPs for their Tapo C310 cameras, they are useless. It is crazy to assume that a reasonable consumer would prefer to add each camera's MAC to the DHCP router manually. Why can we set Static IPs for the Vigi range but not Tapo. Fix the static IP add ability urgently without delay.  

Options
2022-04-13 03:46:34

@Solla-topee In my tp-link tl-r605 router the tapo c200 is IP-MAC binded but some times it sill does not work, still need to restart the tapo c200 which is ludicrous. please add static ip option for people with DVR or TPLINK VIGI this is disappointing.

Options
2022-04-14 11:22:11 - last edited 2023-01-05 03:46:24

Hello   @langamer101

Thank you for the feedback.

You could set up IP reservation/ DHCP reservation on router settings page for camera, this is to reserve a fixed IP address for the camera. 

In post here, one user recommend to setup a longer DHCP release time on router, you may give it a try

If still the same, as this is related to router DHCP functionality, it is recommended to create a thread on Business Router sub forum  to attach the setup page, and IP addresse assigned to camera, router log so they could help look into that further.  Can I know does this happen after camera reboot or power outage,  in any pattern or randomly happens? 

Options
2022-07-05 06:09:56

@Solla-topee The suggested alternative is good. But as the feature requested, if you can add option for us to set static IP, it will solve lots of hassle. It will make a lot easier, would you agree?
Please make this happen. Thanks

Options
Re:[FEATURE REQUEST] TAPO Cameras ADD STATIC IP
2022-12-18 14:19:31

@langamer101 OMG I thought i am the only one having this problem. It is really a headache. Please TPLINK add a static IP feature on TAPO cameras. I got 16 tapo C210 link to VIGI DVR... during reboots/ power interruptions, it changes IP despite having a static IP set on OMADA setup. With this, cameras are disconnected from DVR and video signal is lost. 

I hope they add that feature or option to assign and take static IP address on TAPO Cameras.

Options
2023-01-03 02:45:24

@langamer101 I need the static IP setting too. I use TAPO C320ws with 8 channels VIGI NVR. Every night I schedule the camera to reboot itself. The rebooting results in the change of DHCP assigned IP address.

I need this quite urgently.

Options
2023-01-04 19:46:04

@langamer101 Same here, the alternative solution that they suggested is not reliable. I have more than 90 cameras on my premises and wanted to go with tapo c310 but can't... I need static ip setup. I have an old chinese camera for like 10$ that has that feature

Options
2023-01-05 01:18:11

@arcticchaos Hi,

My network is just a small class-c relying on DHCP IP assignment. What I could do was to go into the router and add the binding of IP address and the MAC address. When the cameras were rebooted, they all get new IP addresses as assigned. 

It is quite dangerous if you rely on DHCP without giving any exclusion range of IP addresses. By binding the address, you also tell DHCP server to not assign these numbers to any other devices.

I guess this is the only way no matter how large or small your network is. Only if you separate your network into smaller sub-net without DHCP.

By the way, how do you add the Chinese cameras onto your NVR? Do those cameras support ONVIF protocol?

Options
2023-01-05 03:45:17

@Solla-topee NOT A RECOMMENDED SOLUTION but a TEMPORARY SOLUTION
please just give us STATIC IP. yes we can do it on the router but it does not work all the time especially when your place has blackouts. router takes time to boot and the tplink tapo camera is first to boot then DHCP does not work. the best solution is still to give STATIC IP. for now I would not recommened more than 4 channel tapo cameras without static ip.

Options

Information

Helpful: 49

Views: 10543

Replies: 73

Voters 44

+ 40 Voters