C210 pan mechanism problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-12 20:34:29

I am testing the Tapo C210 camera and I have encountered a problem with the pan action. The tilt action works as expected.

If I set the pan/tilt resolution to 5° (the lowest), then tap the Left button once to pan left by 5°, the camera will turn through 5° as expected. However, if I now tap the Right button once to turn back right through 5°, the motor makes its usual noise, but the camera doesn't pan. If I tap Right once more the camera rotates through 5° right. If I tap Left again, we have the same problem, the motor makes noise but the camera does not pan. A second tap of the Left button finally pans the camera left 5°.

This happens because there is play in some mechanical coupling inside de camera. It's like trying to turn a bolt using a spanner that's a little bigger than the bolt head. I don't know if that makes sense. Here's a video.

Is my camera faulty or all all C200 & C210 cameras like this? The problem only affects pan, while tilt works correctly.

Options
9 Reply
Re:C210 pan mechanism problem
2023-08-14 09:14:42

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
We have done a test with a Tapo C210 and a Tapo C200, and the Pan&Tilt function on them works fine. For your problem:
1) Please ensure your Tapo Camera and the Tapo app are up to date
2) On the Tapo app>Camera Settings page of your camera>Advanced Settings>tap Pan&Tilt Correction to reset your camera to the default position, and then check if this feature will work fine.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-14 09:37:47 - last edited 2023-08-14 09:40:37

@Solla-topee Trust me, I'm an engineer —this is a 100% definitely a mechanical problem. It's a problem similar to paly in a steering wheel. If the camera you tested with does not exhibit this problem, then it's possible my camera is faulty and therefore I will return it to Amazon. I would like to return the camera as "faulty" so that Amazon does not re-sell it to another customer, but I am discouraged from doing that because Amazon threatens to close my account every time I have returned a "faulty" item, so I will just return it as "I don't like it" and someone else will buy it and maybe return it, until an uwitting buyer fails to notice the problem and keeps the product.

I had already tried your proposed solutions but this is a mechanical problem because I can hear the motor working but the camera misses the first 5° step when it changes pan direction. Ideally you should test more cameras. Also, it would be nice if the camera was easier to tear down for maintenance, I know other manufacturers do this too but that's no excuse. If I was able to open this camera I probably could fix it and I would not have to return it. I will not be buying this product again anyway, because I didn't like it. It's big, the motor is noisy and the motion detection areas feature doesn't work well if the camera moves. I'll stick with fixed-position cameras such as the Tapo C100 instead.

Options
2023-08-15 09:31:35

@RandyAndy 

Hi, 
I have forwarded your case to the tech team, and they will contact you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. They may collect the camera log and app log for further analysis, and if you are willing to cooperate with us for further analysis, please reply to this email. 

Thank you very much for your feedback on the Tapo C210 hardware design, and I will log it and pass it to the relevant departments for evaluation.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-24 09:26:15 - last edited 2023-08-24 09:28:12

@Solla-topee Sorry about the delay, I've been away for a few days. Here's a short video showing the problem. As you can see, the pan mechanism has a lot of left-to-right play. The tilt mechanism also has some play, but not as much, so the problem is less noticeable.

If you would like any more details let me know (though don't wait too long as I will be returning this camera because, after testing it for a week, I think fixed position cameras suit my needs better).

Options
2023-08-25 09:15:08

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
I can't see the video properly since it shows lines with different colors only. Based on our tests with the Tapo C200 and Tapo C210, your Tapo C210 may have a hardware issue, and you can contact the retailer to return it if it's under warranty.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-25 12:13:10 - last edited 2023-08-25 12:14:28

@Solla-topee I will return the item to Amazon. The problem with Amazon is they coerce customers to not report product faults. In the past I have returned faulty products and they threatened to close my Amazon account because I was returning "too many" defective products, so now I just chooe another reason for my returns (for example I chose "I don't like the product"). As a result, this faulty product will be re-stocked and Amazon will continue to sell it until there is a customer who does not notice the problem. This of cousre hurts the Tapo brand because users will think all Tapo tilt-pan cameras have this problem. The same faulty camera will potentially be purchased and returned many times, and each time that happens is a negative review on Amazon. You get the idea.

About the video, you should be able to see it. I've just checked on various devices including devices where I'm not logged in to my Google account and it works:

https://youtube.com/shorts/2B002pAwQz0

Options
2023-08-26 12:33:46 - last edited 2023-08-26 13:05:58

@RandyAndy I missed the 30-day Amazon returns window (ended yesterday), but Amazon customer support were nice enough to let me return it.

Options
2023-08-28 11:34:03

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
Thank you very much for the updates. Usually, if you have difficulty getting a replacement from the retailer, you can contact the TP-Link local support for help, and we can provide a replacement if your product has an issue and is under warranty. And for the detailed process, it's recommended to contact local support to have a check. Here is the contact info.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-28 12:26:48
Thank you for replying. I was able to return the product in the end 😀
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1925

Replies: 9

Related Articles