light strip is possessed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

light strip is possessed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
light strip is possessed
light strip is possessed
2023-11-09 13:09:36
Model: Tapo L920-5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

ok I posted a while back and got more or less nowhere,I've a l920 strip light,it connects and setup fine trhough the mobile,works with alexa etc and then goes nuts,I could get a stable connection for weeks,or day, and somtimes minutes.

What happens is it will start acting like it is possessed as in it comes on and off by itself, changes colours as if it is being controlled,tried the obvious,removed the connection,and restarted it etc,today I reset it three times in twenty minutes!! does anyone else have problems like this?

tapo smart light? more like crapo dumb light! it's driving me mad as it doesn't stay stable or workng for very long at all

Options
6 Reply
Re:light strip is possessed
2023-11-10 10:21:21

@Harleygjc 

Was there any new automation or schedule created for the light strips in Tapo or Alexa App? For example, the Alexa routine. 

Try to factory reset the device and give it a different name. 

How to factory reset Tapo light strip: Press and hold the button on the controller for 10 seconds or more and then release. The light strip animating orange and green after that indicates a successful factory reset. Then you can reconfigure your light strip in Tapo app.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-11-10 18:58:18
@Wayne-TP no new routines created,in fact over the last few days the connection hasn't lasted long enough,sometimes 30 mins,others just ten! I've done a reset,again,and so far the connection has lasted all the day,deleted and reset routines and atm it's working,how long it will last I have no idea!
Options
2023-11-11 12:29:19
OK update,and no surprise here but about 10 last night it lost connection,AGAIN! flashing,on and off randomly,it's been othing but trouble since I got the stupid light
Options
2023-11-13 06:41:20

@Harleygjc 

Are you using the original power adapter/controller? Have you tried to switch a different power outlet?

How many strips are connected together? Have the light strips been cut?

Just to double confirm, did this issue reoccur when the strip was in a non-configured state?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-11-13 17:34:05
only using the supplied power adaptor,tried several different outlet,just using the one strip,not cut or changed since being setup over a year back and had this problem on and off since I fist set it up. After I connect via the mobile it can stay working for anything from 30mins to a few months,and then this starts again,one thing I have noticed which is consistant,after it throws a wobbler,I find I can't get it to connect at all for a few days!
Options
2023-11-15 08:00:52

@Harleygjc 

We would like to escalate your case to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up. Please check your email later and confirm. 

To help with this problem, please share below information when replying to the email.

1. Mac address of the device

2. Your time zone

3. The specific time of the last occurrence of this issue

Options