New Tapo user here. C220 - Questions about Pano (Beta) and Patrol modes.

2024-04-09 17:29:40
Tags: #Patrol Mode #Pano Mode
Model: Tapo C220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.19

Maybe a dumb question but what exactly is Pano(Beta)?  Is this just a way of taking a panoramic picture of the room and not really something used to monitor the area?  If it is useful for monitoring, how?

It also looks like this camera has two completely different patrol modes.  Is this correct?

One is accessed with the Pan & Tilt button under the live view.  It shows Vertical Patrol and Horizontal Patrol.  And below that it shows the Viewpoints I had configured under Pan/Tilt but when I select either Vertical or Horizontal, it just either tilts up and down once or goes 360 degrees once.  It doesn't seem to use the Viewpoints at all.  And it only pans or tilts once then it goes back to its default position.

So, what exactly is this particular Patrol mode?  As far as I can tell it just lets you look around one time.

The other Patrol Mode is in the Camera Settings accessed through the gear icon on the upper right, then Pan & Tilt > Patrol Mode.  Under this Patrol mode it looks like I can add the Viewpoints I had previously set up and it will pan/scan between them continuously and stays at each Mark for the configured time, then goes to the next Mark.  

One thing I noticed with this mode is that the shortest scan interval between waypoints is 1 minute.   Is there really no way of having it scan/patrol between the viewpoints a little bit more quickly, like pan to each viewpoint every 10 or 15 seconds?  If the camera is pointing one direction for a full minute, that's a very long time for a potential burglar or whatever to do something out of the field of view.  A lot of damage can be done in one minute.  

Options
3 Reply
Re:New Tapo user here. C220 - Questions about Pano (Beta) and Patrol modes.
2024-04-10 07:29:07

@SDGTR 

Hi,
1. With the Pano feature configured, you can see a horizontally panoramic path and easily move on it to choose a good monitor angle.

2. Currently, the Tapo C220 does not have the Patrol Mode on the Device Settings page, but you can see the Patrol feature on the Live View>Pan&Tilt page, which can help you easily tilt up and down the camera once or go 360 degrees once.
The Patrol Mode on the camera's Device Settings page has a layover time of no less than one minute mainly to protect the camera's motor and minimize the impact of patrolling on motor life.

Best Regards

Options
2024-04-10 15:58:30

@Solla-topee Thanks.  So if I understand correctly, the Pano function is so you can easily point the camera to a specific location?

For Patrol mode I can understand the longer layover period to prolong the motor life but as I mentioned, if someone is using it as an actual security camera to watch over a wide area, a 1 minute layover is too long and leaves a long time for a potential criminal to do things outside the camera's field of view.  

Can a feature request be put in to add maybe a 30 second layover period?

Options
2024-04-11 06:18:19

@SDGTR 

Hi,
With the Pano function configured, you can also see a horizontal panoramic to know the placement environment of the camera.

It's recommended to start a new thread here to post your feature request, and I'll log it and forward it to the related team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 580

Replies: 3

Tags

Patrol Mode
Pano Mode
Related Articles