SD bricked after Tapo C500 firmware upgrade to 1.1.4

2024-06-21 20:49:39 - last edited 2024-07-04 05:57:42
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 build 240506 rel 39487n

I've got two C500, both with same kingston microsd 128gb. I received a new firmware notice justo for one of those cameras, so I started firmware upgrade to 1.1.4 for just one ot them.

After firmware upgrade was completed I got an alert that the sd had to be initialized. Very strange because it was working perfectly since several months.

Anyway I set the initialization process but it got stuck at 5%. I waited like 15 min but it was still at 5%.

I then thought something went wrong so I rebooted the camera. After the reboot the sd wasn't recognized at all, and tapo app prompted me to insert a sd.

I pulled out the sd, and actually it was not recognized even in a pc. It's totally dead.

I think that new firmware killed my sd. And I also hink Tp-link is aware of the problem since the same firm 1.1.4 is not available for the other camera. They hanged the rollout widely.

Can anyone confirm?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:SD bricked after Tapo C500 firmware upgrade to 1.1.4-Solution
2024-06-25 07:10:29 - last edited 2024-06-26 06:15:16

@zooster 

The camera will restart after a firmware update to reinitialize the SD card, which requires a full memory scan. From what you've described, if the app's initialization is stuck at 5% or the SD card isn't recognized by a PC, it's a sign that the SD card was probably failing already. This issue might surface after a firmware update, a camera restart, or when the available memory is completely used up, preventing new recordings.

We recommend verifying if your SD card is a high endurance type, suitable for the frequent read and write operations required by security cameras. Check the manufacturer's website to confirm your SD card model's compatibility with various devices. Standard SD cards, typically designed for digital cameras, may not be appropriate for continuous recording. Make sure to buy SD cards from the official website or authorized sellers to avoid low-quality counterfeit products.

For more information on the SD cards supported by the camera and related details, please click here. What Type of microSD Card does Tapo/Kasa Camera Support?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:SD bricked after Tapo C500 firmware upgrade to 1.1.4-Solution
2024-06-25 07:10:29 - last edited 2024-06-26 06:15:16

@zooster 

The camera will restart after a firmware update to reinitialize the SD card, which requires a full memory scan. From what you've described, if the app's initialization is stuck at 5% or the SD card isn't recognized by a PC, it's a sign that the SD card was probably failing already. This issue might surface after a firmware update, a camera restart, or when the available memory is completely used up, preventing new recordings.

We recommend verifying if your SD card is a high endurance type, suitable for the frequent read and write operations required by security cameras. Check the manufacturer's website to confirm your SD card model's compatibility with various devices. Standard SD cards, typically designed for digital cameras, may not be appropriate for continuous recording. Make sure to buy SD cards from the official website or authorized sellers to avoid low-quality counterfeit products.

For more information on the SD cards supported by the camera and related details, please click here. What Type of microSD Card does Tapo/Kasa Camera Support?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:SD bricked after Tapo C500 firmware upgrade to 1.1.4
2024-06-25 07:16:06 - last edited 2024-06-25 07:26:56

@Wayne-TP 

It was a Kingston 128gb, now I've boght a Sandisk, we'll see.

Anyway, can you tell me why 1.1.4 firmware has shown up for just one of the two C500? Searching for firmware upgrade and rebooting doesn't help.

Usually when a new firmware is available it shows up for every same model at the same time.

With this firmware it has not. After several days/week, only one C500 has been upgraded. It looks like the release of this firmware has been halted, maybe due to bugs.

Am I wrong? Why 1.1.4 on just one C500?

Options
Re:SD bricked after Tapo C500 firmware upgrade to 1.1.4
2024-06-26 06:15:10

@zooster 

Generally a new firmware will be rolled out in stages, it will not be sent to all devices at once. The time for the full release of the firmware will be determined according to the planning of the product department, it might take days, weeks, or months.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 3

Related Articles