Archer C9 WDS mode keeps dropping connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-29 19:17:49
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have two Archer c9s in my home network.

First one is connected to my modem and it the main router.

Second one is configured in WDS mode.

I have followed all the steps correctly:

• setup a static ip that is different than primary router
  • connected to my 5G band on my main router
  • Disabled DHCP on my second router, since primary router handles that.

I keep getting a no internet icon on my computer. However, the problem happens once in a while. My configuration kept failing every other day. Then I assigned a different static ip to the secondary router. It held for 5 days. Yesterday I kept having dropped signal.

I have tried pinging the primary router. I either get no packet loss, or the request has timed out (when I get the no internet connection icon).

I am wondering what could affect the connection between the two? Literally same model, same version. 

Any ideas welcome. My primary router is in my basement and the WDS bridged one is on the second floor. When it works, I get 180 down on speedtest, which is amazing speed for the distance. I was forced to use the 2.4 band before and it was nowhere near the speed I was trying to achieve.

If you're not rowdy, you're not a router.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C9 WDS mode keeps dropping connection
2019-04-29 22:19:09

@RowdyRouter 

WDS is much like using a Range Extender and the same things that can affect a Range Extender and its connection will affect a Router operating in WDS mode.  With that said based on your setup the likly issue is the signal itself.  Most basements are made of concrete which absrobs the wirelss singal a lot.  You can try relocating the 2nd Archre C9 or changing the channels, but if those don't work its likely going to be the nature of the beast.  

A good alternative would be to use Power line adapters and setting the 2nd C9 as an AP. A Kit like the TL-PA8010 would be ideal.  one PLC adapter connects to your router in the basement then the 2nd one where ever you want to put the 2nd C9.  Hook your 2nd C9 into the remove PLC adapter then configure the 2nd C9 as an AP. This should solve the issue and improve speeds as well. 

Keep in mind for PLC to work everything has to run through the same electical panel (breaker box) for PLC speed is affected by disatnce (up to 300 meters)  Congestion (make sure any major applicance is connected to a surge protector) and hops (each breaker jump will reduce the speed a bit, so the less jumps the better)

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3645

Replies: 1