How to create Multi-SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to create Multi-SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
37 Reply
Re:How to create Multi-SSID
2021-11-08 08:40:50

@Unknown_ID 

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am sorry that no clear reasons have been informed yet.

I tend to think it is more related to the roaming experience. Having the same SSID could reduce the roaming time and allocate clients properly on each band.

Options
2022-01-10 15:02:56

@jbortters 

Hello, Is there any update about this? Could you please advice if is there an open issue with the TPLink Developers to solve this?

Thanks

Options
2022-07-05 08:57:36

Sadly, useful features like this get dropped when a vendor decides to "dumb down" their product line.  Glad I caught this thread BEFORE buying the Deco mesh solution. I absolutely need multiple SSIDs ideally with separate VLANs and the ability to control SSIDs by 2.4/5Ghz. If TP-LINK (understandably) wants to keep an easy-to-use interface, then hide these settings behind an advanced mode.

And of course, I noticed that (like most companies), TP-LINK sadly does not read or participate in the community discussions.  #placebo

Options
2022-07-07 07:50:14

@Les1 

Welcome to the community.

We do read and participate in the community discussions a lot

It is suggested to refer to this link for more details:

Does Deco support separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs?

Currently, Deco Mesh might not be a suitable product, you could have a look at our EAP Mesh system.

It supports multiple SSID ideally with separate VLANs and the ability to control SSID by 2.4/5Ghz.

And you could get more details via our Business community.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-20 14:32:33 - last edited 2022-07-21 09:59:08

I have the same issues with HEOS wireless speakers. They have lots of playback issues if one pair of speakers is connected to the Deco M5 and one or multiple speakers are either on the 2.5 GHz or 5GHz network.

I can fix this temporarily by forcing the HEOS speakers to go to the 5GHz WiFi network by disabling the 2.4 GHz network in my Deco app. But this is a not very good solution since it constantly happens that one or a few of my HEOS speakers end up on the wrong network and sound is then interrupted.

I would like to have used the Guest network for connecting my IoT devices or my HEOS speakers, but the guest network is separated from my main network so I cannot use the Guest network to have this solution in place, it would require me to manually switch from standard WiFi to the Guest WiFi if I want to control my music what is also not a solution that I want to have in place.

Looks like I need to abandon the use of the TP-Link Deco M5 to solve my issues :(.

Update from 19.07.2022, yes the Deco M5 Firmware saved my Deco M5, I can now configure what WiFi band is used by any individual device. Very cool update indeed :):)

Options
2022-07-21 07:53:17

@StardustOne 

Hi, I see you have updated to 1.6.0 firmware on Deco M5, and since M5 supports devices to choose the preferred wireless band, maybe you could refer to this link to change the connection preference to 5ghz:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/274402?replyId=1110906

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-21 09:57:33

@David-TP 

Yes cool thank you very much, I was so frustrated because my HEOS wireless speakers constantly connected to either the 2.4 and 5 GHz band and this ruins the sound totally, I desperately ordered the Xiaomi AX3000 Mesh system that allows for having two SSIDs set up for the separate bands.

I now read your suggestion and reconfigured my M5, it can stay. Since I do not have any WiFi 6 devices I will return the Xiaomi AX3000 unopened for a refund.

Thanks again for letting me know about this really cool feature that came with the 1.6.0 firmware for the Deco M5 :).

Options
Related Articles