Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
30 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...
2020-05-25 05:46:30

@Baron Agree! Usb charger in device like this? This is fake. (

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus USB port doesn't work for connecting a hard drive? Wanted to use Apple Time Machine...
2020-06-08 16:01:57
So disappointing...hey can I add that USB support into your firmware for you?
Options
2020-06-22 16:11:50

@CraigZA 

Hi Craig

did your suggeted setup work (plugging your time capsule into an M9 using an ethernet cable)?

I am looking for a way to continue backing up to my airport, but using the M9Plus mesh network (as the USB ports are dead!)

thanks!

Options
2020-06-22 16:16:31

@CraigZA 

Hi Craig

Sorry if this post is repeated, but it seemed the first failed: just to check if your idea of linking a time capsule via ethernet cable to the M9 worked? I am keen to try something similar and connect my Airport (with wifi turned off) to an M9Plus by ethernet cable, and continue to back up to the external HDD connected to the Airport.

Not sure if my MBP will pick the timemachine backup up in this way?

Thanks, in advance

c

Options
2020-06-23 15:51:50

@Tony You have to be kidding. A charging port only? Surely you jest! Well, my rating just went down to one star.

Options
2020-07-21 23:55:43 - last edited 2020-07-21 23:56:47

@CraigZA 

I'm a brand new owner of the M9plus bundle (it arrived from Costco this afternoon) and just finished the setup of the network, coming from an admittedly old Airport Extreme + Time Capsule (functioning as a networked hard drive / sonos music library / network extender). 

Of course, I didn't read the fine print about the vanity USB ports (they might as well be 12v cigarette lighters like in a car) and was disappointed to not be able to link an external hard drive and a USB-only printer (assumptions on my part, but the USB ports were a deciding factor for choosing the brand/model). 

After turning off the wifi for the "Time Capsule", I was able to attach it via ethernet cable without issue (drive immediately visible on network) and then our USB-only laserjet printer (only a couple years old but I had figured wifi would be unnecessary with the apple USB ports and not worth the extra upcharge). 

So, our goal of updating to current technology was partly successful, but there's still an old Apple Time Capsule under one Deco M9.

On the positive side, network coverage seems to be drastically improved (in a 1926 house – brick, lathe and plaster – which the Apple network could never quite handle) as has the network speed (by a factor of 5x-10x in some places).  

Options
2020-08-01 07:23:25

@CraigZA Did you get it to work? I have the same idea but the Time Capsule won't allow me.

CraigZA wrote

@Baron I have just done the same, bought the M9 solution to replace my Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme system. Will be installing today but my thought was just to use Ethernet cable to link my Time Capsule to one of my M9s and just turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule. Should still be seen as a network based drive and Macs will see the Time Capsule as they are all on the same network anyway.

Baron wrote

Am I missing something? What's the point have having the USB port if I can't access drives that are plugged into it? I ditched my Apple Time Capsule set up in favor of the M9 set up (with 3 M9's) with the assumption that I'd just be able to plug in an external hard drive to one of the Deco's to set up my Time Machine backups.

What are you guys doing for back ups short of manually plugging in to an external drive everytime you want to do a backup?

I would love some advice. Thanks!

Options
2020-08-04 22:03:50

@DrKnorke 

Yes it does work.

I have mine plugged into one of my M9s via ethernet and it works fine for any Macs on the network.

You have to turn off Router mode and wireless broadcast both, and have it just as network drive.

My Macs now see it as a network drive only.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/256405/is-it-possible-to-use-an-apple-time-capsule-just-as-a-network-attached-backup-dr

(Some help on turning all the settings off)

Options
2020-09-01 19:09:14

Same here. Replaced my Time Capsule thinking I could connect a usb drive to my deco. Very disappointed that this is not possible. Please fix this if possible.

Options
2020-09-02 01:22:31

This is a joke, right?? You are not serious TP?? WOW,so dissapointed "for charging only". When are you planing on bringing your hardware/software to 2020. This is so 2000 stuff. 

Options