Bandwidth Usage by Device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-28 04:10:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

I've got a Xfinity > motorola arris surfboard SB6141 > M9 Plus. 

Since connection I have exceeded 1024GB bandwidth limit for 2 months running. 

Next month I am going to get charged ($200 per month!).

So I need to understand bandwidth usage by device to identoify and manage the bandwidth sucks. 

Xfinity won't give me an bandwidth information beyond total usage per month (not even daily which would be handy since not everyon that lives in my house is here every day). On my last call they told me that they only collected monthly data but could not explain how they do that without aggregating daily data for months that have different numbers of days. I know for a fact that they pull all the MAC addresses and use that data to link mulitple devices to single user profiles for advertising purposes so it's frustrating that the customer that is generating that data is not privy to the information but that's probably something for another forum. 

TP Link have explained that I can get device connection stats only not bandwidth information. 

I dont even seem to be able to get total monthly data usage from Deco to compare with Xfinity.

It seems like TP Link should be able to add to the monthlhy report. So I am tempted to pay $50 per month and go unlimited until that happens - but does anyone know if there is a reason why not or if this is on a dev list somewhere?

Or I need to put some hardware between my modem and Deco. Does anyone know a cheap and easy solution I am generally a mac house and could probably crank up an old unsed one if that didn't slow things down. 

Or I am looking at firewall devices like Firewalla but that seems like I am buying something that is highly duplicative to what I thought I was getting with Deco. 

Any thoughts or ideas on how I solves this as unchecked it's going to cost an extra $200 per month. 

Options
43 Reply
Re:Bandwidth Usage by Device
2019-06-28 21:20:47

@bigyin 

We can certainly forward being able to track data usage as a feature request, but like you mentioned the montly report does not give that. It only provides a broad graph but no actual indication of how much data is used.

Options
2019-07-14 18:05:32 - last edited 2019-07-14 18:06:16

I literally just got off the phone with comcast about this exact same thing. They said on over the course of 2 days I used over half of my terabyte allotment. They werent able to see what device used all that data and just told me to reset my wifi password.

Please create a device usage history feature in the app so we can see what is happening!

Edit: I'm on the M5

Options
2020-01-11 16:55:35

@Shiek 

This is a real need and you guys should consider prioritizing it!  I might have to switch to a different wifi solution just to get access to this info.  Increased bandwidth demands of 4K coupled with a 1TB limit will mean more and more of your customers will be interested in this feature.  It would be wise to get ahead of this.

Options
2020-01-16 00:07:11

@DG01 

I've been following this discussion board off and on for months, since I purchased the Deco back in October.

They're good devices, but the fact that this isn't a feature is baffling. I almost purchased a Google WiFi because of this.

For now, I'm still using my old router and have the Decos in access point mode. That's the only way I can get a idea of how much data I'm using.

The firmware update for the M5s and filtered down the M9, have been a improvement. I would just love to know this would be implemented. Like others, the "monthly report" that I'm notified about is worthless as it currently stands.

Please please add a monthly data usage for the Decos!

Options
2020-02-04 19:00:31

@FixedCroissant 

Completely agree. We need monthly usage by device so I can tell what is using my 1TB limit with xfinity and causing my bill to go so high. Without this feature, this devices from deco are garbage. I need to point everything to my Xfinity Wifi Router to get me the details I need. 

FixedCroissant wrote

@DG01 

I've been following this discussion board off and on for months, since I purchased the Deco back in October.

They're good devices, but the fact that this isn't a feature is baffling. I almost purchased a Google WiFi because of this.

For now, I'm still using my old router and have the Decos in access point mode. That's the only way I can get a idea of how much data I'm using.

The firmware update for the M5s and filtered down the M9, have been a improvement. I would just love to know this would be implemented. Like others, the "monthly report" that I'm notified about is worthless as it currently stands.

Please please add a monthly data usage for the Decos!

Options
2020-02-07 18:04:06

@ironladd 

I agree this would be a good feature to add.  And other competing products can already do this.  

That being said, this shouldn't be too hard to narrow the source of the issues down.  Turn off a bunch of devices.  Then check how your data usage changes over a period of time (maybe and hour or day or two).  Turn on/off a different set of devices and repeat.  Keep trying until you start to narrow down the culprit(s).

Streaming video is most people's biggest bandwidth use.  An hour of 4K video streaming can be upwards of 15GB per hour.  This is on Netflix's website:

Netflix offers four data usage settings to choose from:

• Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device

• Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device

• High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD

• Auto - Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current internet connection speed

Check for automatic file backups/syncing or updates.  Mobile devices, computers and gaming systems too.  I noticed my son's PS4 kept trying to download a 8GB update to a game every night a 3am but it would fail because the PS4 only had 6GB of free space.  He didn't care that the download was failing every night because he didn't play that game anymore!

Options
2020-03-25 12:58:06

Ditto on this whole thread. Some basic metrics would be wonderful given Comcast's inablity to lift a finger. 

Question I'd settle for getting an aswer to would be:  "what is the interval for the traffic usage metric listed next to a deivce in the qos device report? Last hour, last day, lifetime... etc.."

Anyone know that? 

Options
2020-03-25 14:48:41

@dmthames 

People have been asking for this feature for quite a while (over a year); I wouldn't expect it to be coming. These are great devices as far as their hardware and their design.... I just don't see this feature coming any time soon. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The last firmware release for the M5 at least was in July. I just wish this monthly data use feature existed some where; it doesn't even have to be in the application it can be in the temporary web admin site they added. 

Options
2020-04-06 14:00:37

Well, I wish everyone luck on this. For some people, this is no big deal as far as a feature.... and can be complemented by a an additional router and using these as access Points. 

For most homes, I would think that would be overkill. I just sold and shipped out my M9 Plus this weekend; after having them only 5 months. Lost about $30 in the deal as I was unable to return them to Costco. 

Good luck to everyone that has these devices. Again, they look great, pretty simple to use, but some features (like this data analysis and a "monthly report" that tells me nothing) are just not there. I have unlimited internet; but many people don't and need to keep a rough idea of their internet usage and having very limited, or no communication from tp-link is dissapointing to say the least. 

I replaced the M9 Plus with a first generation Google Wifi, and while it's not tri-band, I'm still seeing the same speeds all throughout the house; and I have far more reatures within the app; and I don't have to buy another router just to get what i need. Clean, simple, uncluttered. 

Options
2020-05-01 16:25:47

@bigyin 

+1 for this feature

Options

Information

Helpful: 30

Views: 18494

Replies: 43

Related Articles