How to make 5ghz preferred over 2.4ghz??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to make 5ghz preferred over 2.4ghz??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
60 Reply
Re:How make make 5ghz preferred over 2.4ghz??
2020-08-30 14:26:53

@Bussand  that makes no sense. There is only one SSID for mesh. That's the whole point of mesh. You cannot choose which frequency to connect. Are you a Deco user?

Options
2020-08-30 15:09:52

@starmanj Hi. Yes I am a Deco user (M4). I apologise because I perhaps should have told you what I did in abit more detail. Whether this will suit your situation, I don't know.

However, before I mention what I did, it still boils down to the fact that TP Link should give us the option to differentiate the 2.4 and 5ghz bands with, say, different names. 

I'd like to think TP Link reads these post sometimes and pick up on important suggestions from users. Bold type for TP Link staff ;-)

Anyway, I did do what I said in my previous post. There are a number of IOS devices and 1 Android user in our home. I got them to put in the credentials for the wifi as I mentioned before. Howver, what I also should have added is this:

1. I disabled the 2.4ghz on the main SSID. That forces only the 5ghz band to be used.

2. I enabled the Guest network for both 2.4 and 5ghz and allow legacy 2.4 devices to connect to that. The 2.4 ghz is a Roku 2 which only has 2.4. I have another Roku, Roku 3, which has 5ghz capability and that is on this Guest network too, obviously with a different SSID name and password. For me it works 100%. It also keeps those "smart devices" on a seperate VLAN of sorts.

Now this may not work for you if your 2.4ghz device needs to see the other devices on your network. But if it doesn't need too, then I would suggest that this is a good workaround giving you the option for the bulk of your 5ghz devices to go onto 5ghz without any issues.

See what you think.

Options
2020-08-30 15:15:28
I also noticed that your Smart devices need to communicate with each other. Would it suffice if they were all on the Guest 2.4 network and communicate with each other on that network. Obviously, i don't know your specific needs.
Options
2020-08-30 16:50:03

@Bussand oh... Of course that would work, I have done that already. But that forces you to use up the guest Network and disable a 2.4. That's the work around. Agree tplink should just allow per device frequency detection.

Bussand wrote

I also noticed that your Smart devices need to communicate with each other. Would it suffice if they were all on the Guest 2.4 network and communicate with each other on that network. Obviously, i don't know your specific needs.

Options
2020-09-02 13:06:07

I am planning to by mesh system and deco is one of my option, however due to this basic feature not available, it is pushing me away to Asus .. hopefully TP-link can consider this seriously to make things right .. and it is only a simple thing, curiously why this is so difficult .... 

Options
2020-09-04 14:45:26 - last edited 2020-09-04 14:51:45

@Tony 

This is not the solution we are asking nor consider as Guest Network is a feature to meet totally different needs. We may utilize that as a work around for some time but TP Link should implement the feature so we can update the connection settings and select the appropriate band for appropriate decices.

I bought Deco X60, 3 unit system one of the latest and talks about really high connection speeds and i have a Gigabit connection with my ISP.

Obviously i have many electronics approx 30 in my house connecting to the network, some old and some new as you cant upgrade everything at the same time and you dont have to for ex my garage door ipener module is fine with low speed and 2.4ghz connection that i dont want to upgrade but i have a latest 10th gen I7 laptop with latest wifi specs, ipad pro, iphones, apple watches, smart TVs, etc that are capable of high speed connection and that is why i am paying for the Gigabit connection and bought the Deco X60 system covering up to 7000 sq ft.

unfortunately the highest speed my device is giving me is around 600 Mbps and i see they all connect to the 2.4 Ghz band and i can not change that.

this is a serious problem and i hope that soon it will fixed via softwe update/release.

Options
2020-09-07 02:48:02
I think this is a basic option, deco m5 should have. I have a Plex server at home and use my smart TVs to stream videos from It. My LG TV always connect to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz network, this make the videos not to stream in original quality. I see that many people are asking this feature since firmware 1.3.1. Now we're at 1.4.7 version and still don't have it. You should tell us at least when the feature will be available
Options
2020-10-16 12:33:22

I'm hoping that development team will prioritize this feature. Huawei Mesh wifi already have prioritize 5G band function. My phone keep connecting to 2.4G band which sometime really slow. I can't deactivate the 2.4Ghz because my printer need those 2.4G to connect. 

Options
2020-10-19 16:33:08

@Bussand  Problem is that the Deco doesn't broadcast two different SSIDs unless you are using the guest network which is then less secure.

Options
2020-11-02 20:53:08

@Tony 

Can you please put this in as a feature request? I would like to be able to just connect certain devices to 5gz.

Options
Related Articles