IP & MAC Binding / Address Reservation Doesn't work!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-24 02:57:34
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20180322 rel.2657(5553)

I'm trying to control IP assignment from my router, for that reason I tried to bind the IP & MAC address, however, the devices are not getting the IPs I've defined for them. I've restarted the router as well, also, I tried disabling and then enabling IP Binding. In the logs it says successfully binded the MAC to the IP, but I'm getting the same MAC with 2 IPs, (1) this is the one I'm trying the device to bind to, device is not accessible through this IP, (2) the actual IP which the device currently has. At first I thought may be it's because of the DHCP lease time, so, I changed the lease time to 1 minute. That did force the IP of the devices to change, however, it is changing to one of the IPs I've NOT specified in the IP binding list. I've also tried to specify the IPs which are out of DHCP IP pool and also from the IP pool, but nothing seems to work.

I then tried DHCP Address Reservation, since it cannot be used when IP & MAC binding is being used, therefore, I removed all the binding and then tried to reserve IPs for my devices. However, when I do that all the devices connected through LAN do not take the reserved IP. As far WiFi is concerned, as long I've even one reserved address in the list no WiFi connection can be established. Therefore, to connect to the router through WiFi I've to remove all the Address Reservations.

This is my first time using TP-Link router, I've never seen such bizzare behavior on Asus routers. Is there anything that needs to be done differently on this TP-Link router?

Options
4 Reply
Re:IP & MAC Binding / Address Reservation Doesn't work!
2019-09-24 22:30:29

@Babulal 

What devices are you trying to bind?

If you delete any descriptions in your IP reservations do they work?

Options
2019-09-27 16:07:34

@Babulal 

Make certain there are no space characters within the devices' description.  "Dell Laptop" won't work, but "Dell_Laptop" is fine.

Dennis

Options
2020-09-18 16:23:49

How many years later and I am having this exact same issue? Glad I bought this peice of junk.

Options
2022-02-02 18:17:27

I can't speak for the Archer C4000 but I have an Archer C2600 I have had to fight a similar issue with.

For my router I can CONFIRM DHCP IS DISABLED when a MAC address is bound for that device.

Apparently the DHCPOffer packet as part of the process is not sent.

Computer connection setup to use DHCP and WPAPSK2.

Added DHCP reservation for computer, rebooted, computer got the assigned IP.

Bound MAC to IP and rebooted computer...no connection, no way no how.

Deleted connection on computer, created new connection specifying IP address....computer connected instantly with bound address.

This means if you want to BIND your IPs you will have to configure the connection manually on each device.

While DHCP can be left enabled for new devices, it will not work with existing bound ones.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4075

Replies: 4