WiFi will not allow certain WiFi Cameras to connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 20:29:39 - last edited 2021-09-01 06:33:32
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20190810 rel.50990(5553)

I've been having a lot of trouble with SimpliSafe wifi cameras, and now one of Ring's wifi cameras, and have exhausted my tech support options at Ring, SimpliSafe, and with my ISP Cox.  Multiple wifi cameras work with no problem, including the Ring doorbell and the Ring Battery Stick-Up cams. SimpliSafe's SimpliCam  worked for awhile, then lost connection and wouldn't reconnect. SimpliSafe sent replacements, which worked for maybe 10 minutes before disconnecting and refusing to reconnect. Our current problem is trying to get Ring's Indoor Cam to connect.

The other Ring camera devices work fine. The Indoor cam refuses to connect to the same network. It will connect to a hotspot network. For troubleshooting, I have tried moving the camera to be close to the router, moved the router from any obstacles, ensured I was using the 2.4ghz network (5ghz is on a different name), ensured the SSID and password were not overly long and did not have symbols, turned off the router firewall, created a guest 2.4ghz network, restarted the camera/router/modem many times. It was also the first of the cameras that I tried to set up, so I don't think it is any sort of device-limiting going on. I don't have any sort of MAC address restrictions or other network lockdowns in place, unless there's some deep-menu setting that I somehow tweaked.

There seems to be some weird interaction of these certain cameras and this router. Ring's advanced tech support hadn't come across an issue like this before. Aside from buying a new router, I am out of ideas for troubleshooting. Any help is appreciated!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi will not allow certain WiFi Cameras to connect-Solution
2020-10-23 17:17:50 - last edited 2021-09-01 06:33:32

@phillyjerbear 

I never did anything to get my issue resolved, and I gave up on trying to use the plug-in ring camera. On a whim I tried setting it up again 6 months later and it worked. I am pretty sure I changed nothing in my router settings in the interval between, so I have no idea why it would be working now but not before. Good luck!

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:WiFi will not allow certain WiFi Cameras to connect
2019-11-06 19:33:19

@doughritto 

Does the camera need the network to be password protected? If not, create the guest network again, and for security in the wireless settings, select no security rather then WPA2. 

Other settings to try on the router would be to change the wireless channels to a specific value rather then leaving it on Auto.

Options
2019-11-06 20:21:51
Tony, I just tried a guest network with no password, and it attempted to connect but failed in the same manner as before. I have also previously tried setting the channel to 1, 6, and 11 with no luck.
Options
2019-11-11 14:51:23

@doughritto 

Are you still having this camera issue? I have the archer a6 and can not get my wifi zmodo cams to stay connected. They will connect, then drop and just keep cycling. I also can not view the live feed on the zmodo app. Shows the cams to be offline.

Options
2019-11-11 18:56:23

@doughritto 

Please check your direct messages

Options
2020-03-31 22:39:19

@Tony I have

the same problem with simplisafe cameras

connecting.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Options
2020-10-22 23:52:54

@Tony Same issue here. Ring Doorbell and Spotlight Cam work great, but the Indoor cam won't connect at all. Any suggestions?

Options
Re:WiFi will not allow certain WiFi Cameras to connect-Solution
2020-10-23 17:17:50 - last edited 2021-09-01 06:33:32

@phillyjerbear 

I never did anything to get my issue resolved, and I gave up on trying to use the plug-in ring camera. On a whim I tried setting it up again 6 months later and it worked. I am pretty sure I changed nothing in my router settings in the interval between, so I have no idea why it would be working now but not before. Good luck!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-28 18:54:04

@doughritto I too, have a very similar issue with the TP-Link Archer A8 router. I have two Zmodo cameras that connect to the network for about a minute. Then go "offline" for 20-30 seconds, then come back online. This cycle repeats until neither camera will respond. I did not have any problems with these camera until I replaced my router with this TP-Link A8. All my other 8 cameras area working just fine. There's something very different about these "Zmodo" cameras. I have been working with Zmodo tech support now, for several days. They cannot find the problem. I think they know the problem, but don't want to let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

I don't like the way TP-Link has taken out a lot of router config options from those who are saavy enough to dig deep inside. They have "dumb-downed" the interface to save them from customers who get in there and mess it up. This is a prevalent practice now, across most industries, because the population is getting dumber year over year, and customer support is dwindling year over year. Too bad we are heading back into the Dark Ages. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

Options
2021-08-28 18:56:52
I have two Zmodo cameras that are having the exact same problem with my TP-Link Archer A8 router. They worked just fine before I replaced by older Archer C7 with this new one. Hey, TP-Link, . . . are you listening to this? Give us more access to the router configuration, so we can "CONTROL" our own environment!!
Options
2021-09-01 07:08:22

@soltltym 

I am honestly not sure what router config options you are requesting on the Archer A8, as you already pointed out that the issue seems more like settings or configuration on the Zmodo cameras or system.

BTW, what're the models of the Zmodo cameras, are they connecting to the Archer A8 2.4G network, or they are actually connecting to the Zmodo NVR system? Cases may be different. You can also check this story we published, and you will find the Zmodo system might be the one that needs to be confirmed and checked:

[Solution] Main Deco staying solid red after rebooting when working with Zmodo devices

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5804

Replies: 10