Ax11000 dropping 2.4ghz every other day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ax11000 dropping 2.4ghz every other day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
124 Reply
Re:Ax11000 dropping 2.4ghz every other day
2020-10-08 14:08:54

@Mystiky 

Same here.  Beta firmware fixed the issue and production firmware seems to be fine as well.  Been using it since it was releasrd.

Options
2020-10-08 15:03:35

FWIW, I had the 2.4 problems with the previous firmware, and had to resort to a nightly reboot to keep them at bay.  I never tried the Beta, but the latest firmware has been without issue.  I have Smart Connect off, the 2.4 channel configured to prevent overlap with a long distance 2.4 link I have (neither of those helped with the previous firmware version), and a weekly reboot configured.

Options
2020-10-09 07:05:45

@Mystiky ... Did you do a factory reset and manually redo all your settings?

Mine keeps loosing functionality. Went with a restore since I have over 50 devices and special settings. Even at times looks like everything is connected but stuff doesn't work unless a reboot. Very frustrating, but hopeful maybe that is the resolution. As for now though scheduling nightly reboots.

Options
2020-10-18 11:22:03

@samadril 

I too had the problem after upgrading from the beta to the latest. 

I have just done the hard reset off the router and done the initial setup. I have so far not had problems with the 2.4ghz dropping out on the devices as previous for over a couple of hours now. Used to get device dropout after 10 - 15 minutes.

I too have not put the smart connect setting on either.

I had been chatting to Tplink support before trying this and they have a senior engineer due to email me back. 

I will let you know if it lasts longer than a week.

Options
2020-10-18 23:43:44

@Jerryb 

On the beta code never had issue. I have ticket open with support to go back to beta. They are going to help me, hopefully not to hard to do so. I hope they actually fix the issue. I'll lwt you know. Very frustrated was gone 2 days and turn out 2.4 went out while I was gone and then 5G too. I checked on way home and had 0 of 50+ devices connected. Thankfully I was able to reboot remotely. They need to fix this!!!!!

Jerryb wrote

@shaywood. funny you say that, I have a similar amout of 2.4 devices,  wonder if thats too many for it to handle.

Options
2020-10-26 19:12:03

@Number2 & @Jerryb 

So I have been working with support and am now on a debug version of the current code. I am letting it run until I see the issue so I can send to them, I am wondering if iether of you have had the 2.4 or 5Ghz drop sence. I have gotten the steps to go back to the old beta code that didnt have issue and have done a quick writeup in GitHub. It is actually a very easy process and just requires to first load on the Debug version of the current software. Perhapse if you both have the issue you too can load debug and let it get logs so this can be resolved. I am curious however if I just need the factory reset then change settings manually if I will or will not see the issue.

Anyway currently running loggind on debug code and will try to let you all know. I do have the procedure to go back to old code but plan not to do this unless it fails while in Debug. If you guys still have the problem please post, and Ill plan to post the instructions to go back to 1.0.7 P1 Beta code.

Currently running for debug, logging in progress.

Firmware Version:
1.1.1 Build 20201018 rel.85979(5553)
Options
2020-10-26 19:58:01

@samadril @Number2 @Jerryb 

When I upgraded to the current firmware (from the beta), I started having 2.4 devices drop again.  I then enabled smart connect and haven't had problems since. Honestly, not sure smart connect had anything to do with it, or if making a settings change and saving might have helped.   I was very happy with the beta, which was rock solid for months.

Options
2020-10-27 19:19:19

@samadril 

Not had any dropout or problems with either 2.4 or 5Ghz. Turned power off and on too and all came on with no problems. 

Support previously asked if I had any backups which unfortunately I didn't. At least you gave them chance to see what's happens after a firmware upgrade as shouldn't really have to do a hard reset to kick it into gear. 

Hope it answers something! 

Options
2020-11-04 17:43:16

@shaywood @Number2 @Jerryb

I wanted to gice you all an update. So issue happened again and I sent logs. It appears that they saw the 2.4G encryption used was TKIP which is old and may have been causing issue. The setting that is under 2.4G Wireless is the AES/TKIP setting. You would think it would default to AES but aparently is is not. I did go back to the old code and did not have the issue at all. I get logs running old code and sent to support where I did not have issue. I wonder on that old code if the setting did force AES, and then moving to the latest under that setting a regression allowed it to go back to using TKIP.

Long story short I have gone back to the latest code, BETA version supplied by support so I can monitor. I did see my restored setting did in fact set to "TKIP/AES" as the encryption option for 2.4G. I have now set to AES only and will monitor while logs collect. I am actually hopeful that this is the issue and that with so many devices, all possibly defaulting to TKIP encryption, there was an eventual failure that could only be cleared by a reboot.

@HERE - I wonder if you could look at your setting now that you have done hard resets. See if you are indeed set on a hard reset to AES only? Very curious. Also if you feel adventurious, backup your current setting and then load in those old setting that did not work and caused failure. I would love to know what that setting is? "TKIP/AES" or "AES" only. Please dont feel you have to by any means just very curious. I have included the reply from support and screen shots of the setting that may be causing the failure and what it should be.

#######################################################################################

R&D engineer suggest you that don't use "TKIP" option and continue to monitor the problem for a few days. They noticed some problems related to TKIP encrypted devices.

WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK is the encryption type that we often set now. This type of encryption has high security performance and is quite simple to set. However, it should be noted that it has two encryption algorithms, AES and TKIP.
  TKIP: Temporal Key Integrity Protocol, which is an old encryption standard.
  AES: Advanced Encryption Standard (Advanced Encryption Standard), security is better than TKIP, recommended.

Using the AES encryption algorithm not only has higher security performance, but also because it uses the latest technology, it is also faster than TKIP in the wireless network transmission rate, I suggest you can try AES only.

#######################################################################################

Options
2020-11-04 18:43:39

@samadril   hello each of bands is set at AES. Had to turn off smart connect yesterday because the router wouldn't allow me to add a new device. 

Options