slow download speeds TPLink (TG-3269) Network Card

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-09 17:07:01 - last edited 2019-12-09 17:22:40
Model: TG-3269  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

before i start, im not sure about hardware version or firmware version. i bought this card last year at amazon. TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Network Adapter/Card, Includes Low-profile Bracket (TG-3269)

So ever since i got this card, my download speed has topped out at around 20mbps ish. this isn't my internet, it belongs to a family member, so i figured that was probably normal cause i didnt know the speed.

a month or 2 ago i was downloading a game from microsoft in which i seen my speed hit around 150mbps. which made my curious. i found a page on how to speed up your internet and tried changing some settings which pushed my speed up to around 50+ mbps. (for a few days).

next thing i know my download speed has since been capped at around 10mbps. today was trying to download a game from steam and out of frustration i decide to contact my isp. (comcast) i told him i dont know our speed package but feel like my speeds should be much faster. he says i have i think he called it the burst package. (250mbps)

they tried some things from their end and said the changes might take up to 30 minutes to take effect. he then asked would i like to schedule a technician just incase it doesnt work, so i said yes. the changes made didnt help. 30 minutes later the technician shows up and asks for my password, logs into my network and he gets 250mbps. he says he'll check some things out outside but is pretty sure the problem is on my pc end. he then went outside, i heard like drilling noises or something for awhile, and later left.

so... now im stuck, i checked out various webpages and played around with different settings they recommend and then i uninstalled and re-installed the driver and applied update.

so now the only change i have made is ARP offload: Disabled. which is currently giving me 30mbps.

i really could use some help here. please. obviously i should be getting much higher speed. 250mbps would be awesome, but i'd be happy if i could even just get 80.

thanks in advance.

#EDIT# oh and i forgot to mention i set full duplex mode up to 1GBPS. #EDIT#

also, here are some settings you might wanna know....

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> netsh interface tcp show global
Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State          : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : default
ECN Capability                      : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled
Initial RTO                         : 1000
Receive Segment Coalescing State    : enabled
Non Sack Rtt Resiliency             : disabled
Max SYN Retransmissions             : 4
Fast Open                           : enabled
Fast Open Fallback                  : enabled
HyStart                             : enabled
Pacing Profile                      : off

Options
3 Reply
Re:slow download speeds TPLink (TG-3269) Network Card
2019-12-09 17:44:49

ok apparently i might be looking at this wrong. just found an article on steam about is their download speed really slow?

Is your download actually slow?

• Comparing Steam download speeds to your Internet connection speed:

Internet and other network connection speeds are typically measured in multiples of bits per second. However, Steam downloads, like many other file downloads, are measured in multiples of bytes per second. A byte is a group of 8 bits.

To compare your Steam download speed to your connection speed, multiply your Steam download speed by 8. For example, if you are getting 768KB/s (kilobytes per second) as your Steam download speed, you are getting 6144Kb/s (kilobits per second) or 6 megabits per second download speed according to most Internet service providers.

Click to see Article

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i suppose if i multiple 20x8=160, or 30x8=240. which i guess would be about right.

so i suppose i answered my own question. still clueless when it comes to this stuff but makes more sense lol.

Options
2019-12-12 00:11:22

@MiSFiT203 

Does your computer have a build in Ethernet port? If so, what speed do you get when uzilizing that?

Do you happen to have another computer that is also wired?

I would use speed testing sites rather then downloading from various sites as the slowdown could be on either end.

Options
2019-12-12 13:20:40

@Tony 

thanks for response,

im pretty sure im good now. when i did speed tests in the past, they looked good, but whenever i did steam downloads it only seemed to come close to a small percentage of what i was expecting to see. the post i linked in my previous post makes it all make sense now.

here is my current comcast speed test.

and here is a setting in steam that i found out about that once checked makes the numbers match what i was expecting.

the day i made my original post, i ticked that setting and my speed was 200+.

right now im only getting this...

but i do understand network congestion can play a factor, so no complaints now. still far better than the 10-30 mbps i thought i was seeing without that checkbox ticked lol.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1614

Replies: 3