New C3150 does not replace Assus router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-10 01:53:56

I have obtained an Archer C3150 router to replace my Assus N900 router which has started to have drop out problems.  I plugged my cables in as they were on thye Assus router, and the WiFi works good and computers directly cabled to the router are good.  However, one of the cables connects to a Netgear FS305 switch, and nothing that passes through this switch can be seen on my network.  I tried reboots, and looked through the settings, and I cannot find anything that relates.  When I returned the Assus router to the setup, everything worked again.

Any ideas on this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:New C3150 does not replace Assus router
2020-01-10 16:51:20
The switch may be bad or more likely you need to replace the cable with a new high quality one. Mke sure you get a good connection.
Options
2020-01-10 20:42:32

@davcbr 

To add to @ArcherC8 check the IP addresses on the connected devices to the swith to make sure they match the scheme of the Archer C3150. If both IP addresses are different nothing will commuincate over the network. 

Options
2020-01-11 00:08:28

@davcbr Well...

I've got the thing going.   Some of my difficulty was that this is the first router that I've owned [five previously] that does not list the computers connected by cable like it does for devices connected by WiFi.  Made my diagnosis a little slow.  I'm still not sure about it, as it seems a little flakey - in Windows, I sometimes have to do a search for a computer on my network, and voila! It's found!  A simple "refresh" does nothing.  However, once it finds the compute I searched for, up pops all of them.

As far as cables...   as I said, putting back the Assus router immediately got things running.  I did try switching out a couple of cables and, I put in a Linksys switch that it seemed to like.  My suspicions lie with the C3150 however.  If I plug cables directly into the 3150, it refuses to recognize the computers that line feeds.  If I put that same  plug into the Linksys switch and cable that to the router's #1 jack, it works.  Fortunately it is an 8 port switch, so everything now goes to it.  I think the C3150 ports may be the problem.  It's working now, so I guess I'm "happy"

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 554

Replies: 3

Related Articles