Archer a6 server port forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-16 21:45:05
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I'm new to the TPLink Archer family, I used to set up all my servers using Linksys and DLink routers for HL2DM, Minecraft, etc...but my last DLink router died and I decided on the Archer A6.  Port forwarding for my servers was very simple using the other routers but I'm a little confused with the Archer setup and am asking for some assistance on how to do it. 

What I've done so far is log in to my router, Advanced>NAT Forwarding>Virtual Servers>Add>View Existing Services>HTTP (I'm assuming)>Enter my ports and IP and select 'All' for protocol then click save.

I just want to make sure that is the correct way as I'm not having any luck with anyone locating my server(s) via internet or LAN.  Am I supposed to be using Port Triggering instead of Virtual Servers?

Thanks in advance!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer a6 server port forwarding
2020-02-17 13:23:57
I do not use minecraft or other games. I do port forward Security DVR and cameras. Try setting port type. see https://portforward.com/minecraft/
Options
2020-02-17 20:34:44

@ArcherC8 Thanks for the response but I know what ports to forward I'm just not familiar with the a6 - do I accomplish this through Virtual Server or Port Triggering or both?  With my other routers there was a specific "Port Forwarding" area to do this and was very straight forward.

Options
2020-02-18 12:30:58
I used Forwarding virtual servers for may DVR setting the protocal to the expected one which was TCP in my case. I have UPnP turned on for my device and I use address reservation so the MAC is assigned to a specific internal IP. I do not use Port Triggering.
Options
2020-02-20 18:27:46

@dbanimal 

Virtual Servers are the equivilant of Port Forwarding so you are configuring the settings in the right place.

You do not need to configure anything in Port Triggers so that could be left blank.

Make sure the client device is set a static IP address so it will not change and the IP address it outside of the DHCP pool.

When creating the port forwading rule try leaving the service type blank, and fill out the appropiate port below. 

As a alternative if the port forwarding does not work, see if you can change the port being used on the client device to another number such as 1000 or 10000, then create the appropiate rule for that on the router.

Options
2021-07-25 04:37:54
Port Triigers cannot be left blank. it wont let me
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6671

Replies: 5

Related Articles