Internet dies when connecting Laptop via ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-05 02:54:21
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20200220 rel.33197(5553)

Whenever I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable internet is sure to die and I need to reboot my router in order to regain connectivity.

Whenever this happens I get the error "WAN port is unplugged" which doesn't help since it is actually plugged in.

I have tried multiple ethernet cables and different ports. Can connect PS4 via ethernet to the Archer A7 just fine and have also tested my laptop's ethernet port to make sure it is working correctly. Wireless connection also work without an issue but die after I connect my laptop via ethernet.

Any help would be appreciated

Options
5 Reply
Re:Internet dies when connecting Laptop via ethernet
2020-06-05 14:37:16

@miguel.se7 

How did you "also tested my laptop's ethernet port"?

" Whenever I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable internet is sure to die and I need to reboot my router in order to regain connectivity"

Do you mean it works fine after the reboot, the laptop does get an Internet connection and the router doesn't reboot?

Options
2020-06-05 20:48:45

@IrvSp 

I am able to connect my laptop via ethernet at a friends apartment.

Works fine after reboot as long as I connect wireless. If I continue cconnected via Ethernet problems persists

Options
2020-06-05 22:34:17

@miguel.se7 

Sounds like a 'short' in the router when a cable is connected to any of the ports. A quick test would be to disconnect the cable from the laptop and just plug the other end into one of the router ports. If the problem persists, I'd call Support. If it doesn't cause a problem with the cable just connected to the router, then plug it into the laptop. Fails then, it could be the laptop or the cable (but if you used the same cable with a friends router, then probably not, still call Support I guess?)?

Options
2021-01-18 20:15:28

@miguel.se7 I have the same problem. It looks like a DNS problem with the wired Ethernet port. But I don't know how to configure it to work either. If support gave you a solution, could you please share it.

Options
2021-01-19 01:15:38

@Greg14 Hey, So it seems my issue was a mix between the specific router I was using and my ISP. While I was using the same router my ISP (WaveG) provides when you rent from them, it was runnning on a different firmware according to the technician. As per his explanation it was some issue when reserving IPs after connecting a new device or something of the sort.

I ended up switching to a different model from another brand and it solved the issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 973

Replies: 5