High Priority laptop not connecting to internet when opened

2024-06-11 18:39:03
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 20240119 Rel. 39178

Over the last couple of months, when opening my Chromebook it will NOT connect to the network.  It's seeing the network, but just fails to connect - UNTIL - I open the Deco App on my phone to view the connected devices and unconnected devices.  While doing this, the laptop will connect - EVERYTIME - (and yes, I've waited long enough to see failure with it throwing a connection error).  My laptop device has been set to High Priority since installing the Deco XE5300, which was a basic install accepting only recommendations during the setup.  I've done a firmware update and rebooted the mesh network, also my Chromebook is current.  Prior to acquiring the XE5300, I had the Google WiFi mesh and this NEVER happened.  Currently no other devices (phones, tablets, IOT) are experiencing this.  Addendum:  this was not an issue the first several months following the XE5300 installation, only recently.  Hopefully someone can provide a simple answer.  Thanks in advance. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:High Priority laptop not connecting to internet when opened
2024-06-12 18:09:58

@Fred77,

If it was a recent behavior, my attention would first be drawn towards the network and privacy settings on the laptop. Many devices now come with features such as MAC Spoofing enabled by default. It is possible that this is enabled and creating a conflict in your network with the IP address assigned to the MAC.

I would recommend trying to remove any addresses, reservations, and QoS settings for the Chromebook to see if the behavior continues. 

Given that the device is reconnecting when at the screen, I would think that there is either a conflict or the DHCP lease for the network is not being released/renewed. I believe refreshing this list in the app can send out discovery packets, which is causing the laptop to reconnect. 

Does rebooting the laptop allow it to connect to the network? Try using your Deco's guest network, does the behavior continue?

I would try to erase all of the network settings on your Chromebook to make sure that a setting was not accidentally configured.

Options
Re:High Priority laptop not connecting to internet when opened
2024-06-13 03:46:27

@Riley_S 

I appreciate the thoughtful response and providing me some different things to further investigate and try.  *Notes I should have included originally; While this started over a month ago, it's happening maybe 2 or 3 times a week.  The other day before submitting this inquiry it happened twice on the same day.  Also I seldom Shut Down or Restart my CB, only closing it (sleep mode) connected to the charger until opened again.

I've started on the provided list by first forgetting the network settings and then selecting it again followed by a restart of the Chromebook.  I'll now wait to see if this is the fix. 

I'm going to need to study a couple of your suggestions to make certain I'll know how to implement them.  For instance, MAC Spoofing.  I can see where its been reported that Google is going to implement MAC Randomization, which perhaps is the same thing.  Anyway, they may have it in development mode but I'm not finding that option under the current production, selected network advanced privacy settings where what little documentation I can find indicates it should be.  So I don't know whether this is happening but will research further.

When/if this happens again, I'm going to pay a little closer attention within the Deco App to the Online Client and Offline Client lists for this device and verify the MAC address.  I'll document the Chromebook MAC address when Offline and see if it changes when going back Online.  

So I have a little more research, studying and testing to do as I work through your list.  Thanks again for your assistance   

Options