Suggested Settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Suggested Settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Suggested Settings
2020-09-06 00:40:51
Oh ok, so you got the address from your ISP. Was it automatically there when your first set that up? so since my ipv6 address is ::, then I guess that means that RCN DOES NOT support ipv6 unlike what they advertise
Options
2020-09-06 12:52:09
The IPv6 address gets set when it connects using IPv6. After I got mine set up correctly for my ISP and I clicked 'renew', then the address appeared. Before that it was like what you have. Try different combos of settings and then try renew, release, or power off/on, ...
Options
2020-09-06 15:00:22

rkrebs11 wrote

@IrvSp  Thanks IrvSp. Yeah, mine was on auto too by default, but where did you get that address.

@rkrebs11 

Well I knew Spectrum did support IPv6 which helps smiley

Once I turned on IPv6 and selected thje various options (Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6) and 6to4 Tunnel both produced 'data') and left the others at default, clicked on RENEW and it took a bit of time to get the address in it seemed.

Could also try IPV6-TEST.COM, and that might also help you with the right options set? I do NOT trust that site either, I get this 'advice' as I only get 18/20 'tests' OK:

===========

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

===========

I have Norton360 and I created a NEW Firewall rule to be sure, ALLOW ICMPv6 ALWAYS IN AND OUT, and I still get the message. There is an option on my A20 to allow Ping from the WAN port which is off by default. That is ICMP it seems, but the problem is not to the router but to the internal LAN devices... and that it seems doesn't go through.

There are other sites for IPv6 testing too... All seem to do different levels of testing. Just Google "test ipv6", and all are different. For instance, https://test-ipv6.com/, gives me 10 ouf of 10...

Options
2020-09-06 15:30:38

@IrvSp Interesting I have Norton 360 also and now am wondering if Norton's firewall is somehow interfering with the setup.  But you would think that Norton and/or your router would fix that themselves or at least offer the AV suite's connection as a possible roadblock.

Options
2020-09-06 19:30:29

@rkrebs11 Should I try 6to4 Tunnel?  Because when I select that I get a IPv6 address.

Options
2020-09-06 20:01:51

@rkrebs11 

I get IPv6 addresses with both, SLAAC and 6to4. It could very well be that your ISP doesn't support full IPv6?

That said, with or without IPv6 enabled, I've not seen any difference in any Internet usage? Not a lot our there, and some are both anyway.

Options
Related Articles