What does not work if you don't use the WAN port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-15 17:43:39
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

I setup my AX50 (a great product BTW) yesterday.

I connect one interface of my Raspberry pi 4 to the LAN port of the AX50 and one interface to the cable modem:

ISP/cablemodem---------(real internet IP)PI4----------AX50---(wireless clients)

So, I do not use the WAN port of the AX50 at all.

I also turned off DHCP and NAT as those are provided by the Pi 4.

The reason I am doing this is I am running an IDS on the Pi 4 and want to see the actual internal IPs that are going outbound and send them to the cloud.

It works great and is 5X faster as far as my previous router!

My question is:

Shall I assume that things like "Traffic Monitor" and will not show details if I just use the LAN port and not the WAN port?

I.E What are the things that will not be available to me if I keep the AX50 in this configuration?

Thanks!!

Options
2 Reply
Re:What does not work if you don't use the WAN port?
2020-09-16 22:50:33

@modulusmath 

It depends on what mode the AX50 is in.  If its in AP no advanced or routing features will work.  If in router mode then in theroy only network features that require WAN access will not work.  Though troughfully we have not encounters a router being used like and its not something we really test for as a Router's primary function is to provide a LAN access to the internet. 

Options
Re:What does not work if you don't use the WAN port?
2020-09-17 02:08:01

@modulusmath OK Thank you Carl for the answers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 723

Replies: 2