Port forwarding - what type to use?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-31 23:55:14
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need help as I just barely understand this stuff - my AX50 works great except my IP webcam is now blocked. The cam is a Foscam FI9900P and its instructions simply say I need to enable port forwarding. I've found where I can enable port forwarding on the router, but I don't know what type i should use. If someone could walk me through this I'd really appreciate it. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Port forwarding - what type to use?
2021-08-01 10:53:11

@DMatt 

There are several parts to connecting a camera using port forwarding.

First you need to assign an IP address to the camera. Pick an IP address that is not being used and assign each the cameras' MAC address to a unique address such as 192.168.0.125. Then reboot the router. The cameras should now be assigned to that IP address. Otherwise, the IP may change on reboot and port forwarding will not work.

Now set up the port forwarding rule using those IP addresses. Different cameras may want you to use specific ports and as I recall, I used 'both' option on my old Foscams which I no longer have. Reboot the router again. 

I then set up a DDNS so I could connect to my cameras from any WIFI in the world which I have. I currently have a Security DVR using port forwarding. I also have Wyze cams which do not require port forwarding. I did not set up the DDNS in the router. I use a different DDNS provider, one from my DVR company. If my ISP IP address changes, I would need to sign on to the DDNS provider to change the ISP IP address. I preferred not to use the ones available on the router.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 1

Related Articles