Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic

2021-01-20 13:12:02 - last edited 2021-11-15 01:14:05
Model: Deco M5
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I have my Quad9 DoH profile installed on my iPhone 12 and MacBook and this is showing on my iPhone.

I've search the forum and follow people's guide to reboot the Deco but I still see this message.

Can anyone from tp-link please help? What's the setting to avoid M5 blocking encrypted DNS traffic. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic-Solution
2021-11-12 11:54:53 - last edited 2021-11-15 01:10:41

Hi, Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Here I will share more details about this issue.

Ever since IOS 14, Apple started supporting encrypted DNS, and sometimes You might get this“ privacy warning: this network is blocking encrypted DNS ” notice on your IOS devices when they are connected to a network that did not support encrypted DNS. So it was not specific to Deco.
Even though Deco did not support encrypted DNS, it could forward the encrypted DNS traffic to the DNS server that does.

So for the privacy warning on Deco,  it may be caused by either of the following two reasons:

Case 1. Deco briefly lost Internet connectivity, resulting in some of the encrypted DNS traffic not being forwarded out. At this point, due to the misjudgment of IOS devices, this warning will not go away even if the Internet comes back normal. 

Solution: Please go to the WiFi setting of your IOS devices, forget/delete the Deco’s network, and reconnect to it again. As @Theesan  suggested.

Case 2. The DNS server provided by the ISP does not support DNS over HTTPS/ DNS over TLS.
Solution:
Please set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 manually in Deco App > More > Advanced > IPv4, then go to the WiFi setting of your IOS devices, forget/delete the Deco’s network, and reconnect to it again.

please feel free to comment below if you have any further concerns.

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic
2021-01-20 18:39:27 - last edited 2021-11-12 11:28:16

@pop_pop 

On Reply #5: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/228148

A user got the same message when connected to the 5G network, in this case, they had an AX50 and said rebooting the modem not the Deco to resolve it.

Options
2021-11-11 07:02:07 - last edited 2021-11-12 11:28:16

@pop_pop 

Rest router.froget network on iphone and reconnect. this method works for me.

pop_pop wrote

I have my Quad9 DoH profile installed on my iPhone 12 and MacBook and this is showing on my iPhone.

I've search the forum and follow people's guide to reboot the Deco but I still see this message.

Can anyone from tp-link please help? What's the setting to avoid M5 blocking encrypted DNS traffic. 

Options
Re:Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic-Solution
2021-11-12 11:54:53 - last edited 2021-11-15 01:10:41

Hi, Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Here I will share more details about this issue.

Ever since IOS 14, Apple started supporting encrypted DNS, and sometimes You might get this“ privacy warning: this network is blocking encrypted DNS ” notice on your IOS devices when they are connected to a network that did not support encrypted DNS. So it was not specific to Deco.
Even though Deco did not support encrypted DNS, it could forward the encrypted DNS traffic to the DNS server that does.

So for the privacy warning on Deco,  it may be caused by either of the following two reasons:

Case 1. Deco briefly lost Internet connectivity, resulting in some of the encrypted DNS traffic not being forwarded out. At this point, due to the misjudgment of IOS devices, this warning will not go away even if the Internet comes back normal. 

Solution: Please go to the WiFi setting of your IOS devices, forget/delete the Deco’s network, and reconnect to it again. As @Theesan  suggested.

Case 2. The DNS server provided by the ISP does not support DNS over HTTPS/ DNS over TLS.
Solution:
Please set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 manually in Deco App > More > Advanced > IPv4, then go to the WiFi setting of your IOS devices, forget/delete the Deco’s network, and reconnect to it again.

please feel free to comment below if you have any further concerns.

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@TP-Link This isn't a solution I tried it and it doesn't work. Please reply also to the other forum

Options
a week ago

@AtakanAtceken i am also facing the similar issues, the resolution described works only for few days or hours and secondly they have to fix this issue, they are just playing hide and seek out here 

Options
a week ago

@TP-Link i am also facing the similar issues, the resolution described works only for few days or hours and secondly they have to fix this issue, they are just playing hide and seek out here 

Options
a week ago

@fahadmohammed81 

@AtakanAtceken

Thank you for the feedback and the reply has been updated here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/504276?page=3 #30

Options