Can't Create Password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't Create Password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Can't Create Password
Can't Create Password
2021-01-22 20:38:04 - last edited 2021-10-08 03:38:27
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I received a range extender and was excited to set it up.  Seemed like it was going to be easy....  except once it finds my device, I am asked to creat a password.  While trying to create a password on my iphone and it is saying "Please enter 1 to 15 characters using letters, digits and underlines".  I am unsure how to "underline" a password as I have been using under-scores and it is not working.  I have tried many variables and am beyond frustrated.  I've read lots of people also having the same issue, but cannot seem to find a resolution for it.  Is anyone able to help before I return this and purchase a different brand.  

Greatly appreciated!!  Thank you 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't Create Password-Solution
2021-10-08 03:38:02 - last edited 2021-10-08 03:38:27

Hello everyone,@Anzax 

The 'underline' means underscore, which is not necessary for creating a login password . Using simply numbers and letters will be accepted by app and safe enough as the login password. Please avoid using any special symbols when creating login password for RE, use or this warning may pop up.

Make sure your Tether app is up-to-date as the new version APP should have removed this hint when creating login password for RE.

If you could not  log into Range extender on Tether or Web,  try a factory reset on RE and create a new login password :

Reset: with the RE powered on, use a pin to press the reset hole for 10 secs

If you still have the ' underline' note on the Tether app, please let us know the model & hardware version of your range extender on the back label, and your Tether app version, thank you.  https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/46/

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Can't Create Password
2021-01-25 21:51:26

@Kristen17 

Here is the setup video we have: https://youtu.be/-070VrBm_vU?t=65

Once you connect to the extender it should ask to create a username and password for the local login of the extender, later when you connect to an existing wireless network you enter the wireless password of that network you want to connect to.

If the mention of underlines is happening (1:14 of the video) at that point, ignore that and use the password you want, minus the underlines.

Options
2021-02-16 17:13:31

@Tony I am having the same problem. Even when I don't use underscores, I click "create" for the local password and the notification "waiting" comes up and spins. Then it disappears and I'm back on the screen to create a local password. I cannot move forward from this screen no matter what I enter for the password. Can you please help?

Options
2021-02-16 17:15:59
I am using RE205.
Options
2021-02-17 19:32:31

@Extendwifi 

Please provide screenshots leading up to that screen that you are met with indicating underscores.

Options
2021-05-12 11:59:23

@Kristen17 

I had to delete the app and reinstall.  Upon doing so the password requirements were no longer needed.  You can use whatever password you prefer.

Options
2021-10-03 02:32:18

@Tony 

same thing here, this extender worked quite well for the first 6 months then all of a sudden I try to move it and I can't create a new password. I've put underlines, digits and numbers in my password, so I'm not sure wtf is going on. 

Options
2021-10-03 02:34:09
Yep same here, did you find a solution? It’s such a ridiculous and frustrating issue.
Options
2021-10-03 02:34:30
Tried this, didn’t work
Options
Re:Can't Create Password-Solution
2021-10-08 03:38:02 - last edited 2021-10-08 03:38:27

Hello everyone,@Anzax 

The 'underline' means underscore, which is not necessary for creating a login password . Using simply numbers and letters will be accepted by app and safe enough as the login password. Please avoid using any special symbols when creating login password for RE, use or this warning may pop up.

Make sure your Tether app is up-to-date as the new version APP should have removed this hint when creating login password for RE.

If you could not  log into Range extender on Tether or Web,  try a factory reset on RE and create a new login password :

Reset: with the RE powered on, use a pin to press the reset hole for 10 secs

If you still have the ' underline' note on the Tether app, please let us know the model & hardware version of your range extender on the back label, and your Tether app version, thank you.  https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/46/

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-26 15:15:42

@Solla-topee  Try the word "admin" that worked for me. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 7104

Replies: 12

Related Articles